Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ker_01 Ker_01 is offline

Default Troubleshooting unwanted changes to Normal.doc/dot- from Outlook- please help!

I work in a corporate IT environment. We use Office2003 on WinXPsp2. I have
MS Word set up as my default email editor in MS Outlook.

When I open outlook and close it without creating any emails (without
accessing Word as the editor) I have no problems.
When I open word and use it, then close it I have no problems.

However, when I open Outlook and create any email (regardless of whether it
is saved, etc.), then close Outlook (the individual email already having
been sent, saved, or deleted) I get the following dialogue box:

Microsoft Office Word
Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal. Do you want
to save those changes?
[Show Help]
[Yes] [No] [Cancel]
{it really says "Normal." I would have expected it to say "Normal.dot", but
maybe that pulls from the folder view setting where I hide known file
extensions?}

Regardless of my yes/no/cancel response, this dialogue box comes up
every_single_time I close Outlook after using email. This is getting really
annoying.

I've confirmed that the normal.dot template is local (not shared on a
server) by finding it in MS Office templates, deleting it, then opening Word
and verifying that Word recreates it in that directory.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause Outlook to think it needs to
change the normal template every time?

Thank you,
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The default template is called Normal. Normal.dot is its filename.
The formatting requirements for Word documents and e-mail messages are
entirely different and this will produce different toolbar configurations
which Word sees as a change to Normal.dot that you may wish to save and
gives you the opportunity to save them. The only alternative is to save them
automatically, which you would find worse.
The simple solution is not to use Word as e-mail editor. Outlook has a
perfectly reasonable e-mail editor of its own.

"ker_01" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DougS DougS is offline

Default Troubleshooting unwanted changes to Normal.doc/dot- from Outlo

Where is the spell checker in the Outlook editor?

"ker_01" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools Spelling or F7
or
You can set up the option to automatically spell check before sending.
Tools Options Spelling

"ker_01" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DougS DougS is offline

Please accept my apologies. My question was tongue-in-cheek because while
setting up an email user recently we found that they had to use WOrd as the
editor to gain access to the spellchecker features. Apparently that was on
an earlier version of Outlook.

I did notice however, that you lose the underline misspelled words and auto
correct.

If it aint one thing, it's another.

Cheers.