Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rev. Michael L. Burns Rev. Michael L. Burns is offline

Default Openning A XPS File in Word 2007

I know about the addin that allows me to save any Office 2007 document as a
PDF or XPS file. What I am looking for is some way to open an XPS file in
Word.

I have a program with limited editing capabilities that I use about twice a
week that creates its finished product as an XPS file and I'd like to import
this into word and do my final editing and then save as a Word document.

Is there anything out there that can do this inexpensively? Or is there such
a thing as a print driver that I could select instead of my default printer
to Print the
XPS file to word for editing instead of a graphic?

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Michael,

Is that the only format that the other program can produce?

While .XPS files are related in structure to both PDF and .DOCX files (packaged file sets) Word doesn't 'understand' .XPS files,
even as a graphic format, however, you can open an XPS document file in the XPS viewer or in a browser and copy and paste into Word
to some extent, but you may want to look at one of the commerical converters such as
http://nuance.com/pdfconverter/converter/features.asp or their more complete Omnipage 16 product.

or pricier converter
http://investintech.com/xpscentral/xpstoword

XPS documents are written in an XML structure but I haven't had a chance to see if you can add an XPS content item to a Word 2007
Office Open XML file and have it actually render

============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rev. Michael L. Burns Rev. Michael L. Burns is offline

Bob,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, xps is the only output. I have looked into
the programs you mentioned and am currently using a trial of a program
called "Able2Extract" that works well and maintains all formatting when
converted to Word but was hoping for some type of direct import to word or a
simple freeware program to convert the xps to word. For no more than I use
this program I don't think at the time the cost justifies a purchase.

I have tried Microsoft's "XPS Viewer EP" and it displays the documents well,
allows me to search the document for words, copy selected text and phrases
(but has no way to select all text and formatting is lost when the copied
text is pasted into Word) and print. I thought I read somewhere were Vista
was supposed to have this capability built in but have not been able to find
it.

Michael

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rev. Michael L. Burns Rev. Michael L. Burns is offline

One correction, I could not do a select all when using the standalone xps
viewer but when viewing the xps file in IE7 which appears to use the Vista
xps viewer (similar to the stand alone but looks like it has a few more
features) I can select all then copy and paste to word but it looses all
formating.

Michael