Allison Orange

Default Changing Default Margins in Labels

Our users would like larger default margins on labels than those built into
the label definitions. I realize that I could create a template that
specified labels and that used a paragraph style other than that normally
used by that label type, but would like to have it so that users could
simply choose Tools, Letters and Mailings, Envelopes and Labels and select
the label type.

I noticed that when I selected a particular label type, the style in use,
usually named something like ' Left 0.09" Right 0.09" ' appears to be a
paragraph style, however it does not have a paragraph symbol next to it as
paragraph styles generally do. It seems to be some sort of built-in style
that automatically gets chosen for that particular label type.

Can I change the name and left and right indents settings for this style
that automatically gets set for a particular label type? Or can I have a
style that I create be the one that automatically gets set for a particular
label type?

CyberTaz

Hello Allison-

I haven't thoroughly checked this out, but I believe you to be on the right
track. These are just my ideas, fwiw.

Rather than trying to modify one of the existing label definitions, use it
as your starting point in the ToolsLetters and MailingsEnvelopes and
LabelsOptions dialog box and then click the New Label button. Give it a
name, but leave the other settings 'as is'. Click OKs back to the Envelopes
and Labels dialog box and click New Document to close it.

Save the new label doc as a template, edit or create the style as necessary
and check Add to template. Select All & apply your new style

Have the users generate new label docs from the template by adding a button
on a toolbar or to a menu, perhaps.

Good Luck |:)

"Allison Orange" wrote:

[...]

You might be able to increase the indents by changing the label size
relative to the horizontal pitch in the label Details. I haven't tried this,
so I don't know whether you can change these settings without having to
create a new custom label definition (that is, whether you can modify an
existing definition).