Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Whizzer

Default how to formulate an 11x17 document with different columns per pag

I'm trying to create an 11x17 document printed on both sides. I really need
four (4) 8 1/2x 11 pages put together to make this document. But I want
different amounts of columns on each of the four 8 1/2x 11 pages. For ex. 3
columns on p. 1; 1 column on page 2, and 2 columns on pages 3-4.
If I create an 11 x 17 page for this and go to columns and select 4. Then I
get 4 columns across pages 1-2 while I really want 2 columns on p. 1 and 3
columns on page 2, etc.
Can I create this document from an 11 x 17 template and do this or do I need
to just create four separate 8 1/2 x 11 pages and figure out how to put them
together to make 1 11 x 17 document printed on both sides, front and back?
Please help! Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod

Hi Whizzer,

Depending on your requirements, you could create a two-page 11*17 document
with a 5-column spread on page one, followed by a section break and a
2-column layout (or is 4) on page two. By default, Word makes the columns
the same width, but you can change their individual widths, and the space
between them, using Format|Columns.

Column layouts work best if the text is meant to flow from one to the other.
If they're not meant to behave that way, another approach would be to use a
single-row multi-column table on each page, with each column's width set to
whatever you want.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Whizzer" wrote in message
I'm trying to create an 11x17 document printed on both sides. I really

need
four (4) 8 1/2x 11 pages put together to make this document. But I want
different amounts of columns on each of the four 8 1/2x 11 pages. For ex.

3
columns on p. 1; 1 column on page 2, and 2 columns on pages 3-4.
If I create an 11 x 17 page for this and go to columns and select 4. Then

get 4 columns across pages 1-2 while I really want 2 columns on p. 1 and 3
columns on page 2, etc.
Can I create this document from an 11 x 17 template and do this or do I

need
to just create four separate 8 1/2 x 11 pages and figure out how to put

them
together to make 1 11 x 17 document printed on both sides, front and back?
Please help! Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim in Ottawa

Default how to formulate an 11x17 document with different columns per

Another option is to set up a 17x11 page with linked text boxes instead of
columns. You will get individual control over the width of each "column"
(text box) and can size them as needed or even delete them if you have a lot
of graphics.

"Whizzer" wrote in message
I'm trying to create an 11x17 document printed on both sides. I really

need
four (4) 8 1/2x 11 pages put together to make this document. But I want
different amounts of columns on each of the four 8 1/2x 11 pages. For ex.

3
columns on p. 1; 1 column on page 2, and 2 columns on pages 3-4.
If I create an 11 x 17 page for this and go to columns and select 4. Then

get 4 columns across pages 1-2 while I really want 2 columns on p. 1 and 3
columns on page 2, etc.
Can I create this document from an 11 x 17 template and do this or do I

need
to just create four separate 8 1/2 x 11 pages and figure out how to put

them
together to make 1 11 x 17 document printed on both sides, front and back?
Please help! Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Whizzer

I appreciate your two replies. But, everytime I try to insert a break, it
changes my layout on all of the text and columns previous to my break. What
I am trying to do is start with an 11 x 17 page and use it as FOUR 8 1/2 x
11 pages (that will fold in half to make a two sided 11 x 17 brochure). The
left hand side of the first side of the 11 x 17 should have 2 columns and the
right half side of the 11 x 17 needs to have one column. After I enter text
into the 2 columns on the left half of the 11 x 17 (an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet
actually) I want the right half of the 11 x 17 to only contain one (1) column
so I click my mouse in the upper left hand column of the right half of the 11
x 17 (actually the upper left hand corner of the second 8 1/2 x 11 page) and
click INSERT-BREAK and then I have hit column break, continuous break, page
break, whatever and my cursor always goes down to the next full 11 x 17 page,
(page 2) and screws up the first half columns and spacing of the left half of
the 11 x 17 page THAT i HAVE ALREAD TYPED!.

I'm frustrated. Can I just format four (4) 8 1/2 pages with my text with
each page having its own section and then print all 4 of them together to be
the front and back side of a complete 11 x 17 gwo page document?

Would four (4) 81/2 x 11 be able to be formatted to print to two (2) 11 x 17
sheets and fill both pages to look right and fill up the complete 11 x 17
pages?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

"Whizzer" wrote:

I'm trying to create an 11x17 document printed on both sides. I really need
four (4) 8 1/2x 11 pages put together to make this document. But I want
different amounts of columns on each of the four 8 1/2x 11 pages. For ex. 3
columns on p. 1; 1 column on page 2, and 2 columns on pages 3-4.
If I create an 11 x 17 page for this and go to columns and select 4. Then I
get 4 columns across pages 1-2 while I really want 2 columns on p. 1 and 3
columns on page 2, etc.
Can I create this document from an 11 x 17 template and do this or do I need
to just create four separate 8 1/2 x 11 pages and figure out how to put them
together to make 1 11 x 17 document printed on both sides, front and back?
Please help! Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Section breaks affect the entire page width, and what you're dealing with
here is the width of your 8.5" x 11" sheet, so naturally you're not going to
get the results you want. Although you could get the effect you want by
putting three columns on the entire page width and then adjusting the column
widths (in the Columns dialog) so that two were on half the page and one on
the other half, it seems like you're really treating the halves as separate
pages, so it's probably better to view them that way.

You can do this with four separate 8.5" x 11" pages; it just depends on how
you want to make this up and what your printer is capable of printing. If
you have Word 2000 or above, start by first selecting "2 pages per sheet" in
Page Setup (NOT in the Print dialog). This will give you two separate 8.5" x
11" pages on each 11" x 17" sheet. You can then put a different number of
columns on each page. I think you'll find this easier than trying to use
varying column widths on the same page.

If you have Word 2002 or above, you might be better off using "Book fold,"
which will automatically put your four pages in the correct order.