Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Caseybay Caseybay is offline

Default How do I change the order labels are sorted in mail merge?

I'm printing labels from mail merge, but they're alpha sorted from left to
right across the page. I need them instead to sort from top to bottom, then
back to the top of the next column, etc. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If the data is in Access, the label wizard in Access can do it that way.

If the data source is a Word document, the following macro will sort the
data so that the labels print that way.

' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, i As Integer, j As
Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "5" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns.Add
BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Range.Cut
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore k + (j - 1) *
labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + labelcolumns *
labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete

If the data source is not in Word, you can use a Catalog or Directory type
mail merge to get the data into a Word document so that the above macro can
be used.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.