Jackie D

Default Moving Word normal.dot template

Hi
I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000

Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when I choose New Document in the application?

--

Many thanks
JD
Pat Garard

G'Day Jackie,

So you really do NOT want to move NORMAL.DOT
and that's good.

To move your OWN custom Templates to My Documents,
create a Folder called (say) 'My Templates' within the
'My Documents' Folder. Move your OWN templates there.

In Word, under ToolsOptionsFile Locations
click on 'User Templates' to highlight it
Click 'Modify' button
Navigate to '\My Documents\My Templates'
click 'Ok'
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi
I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000

Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when I
choose New Document in the application?

--

Many thanks
JD

Graham Mayor

If you set the user templates file location to a personal sub folder of My
Documents (which is certainly a reasonable thing to do) then Normal.dot will
be recreated as a default in that folder. You would need to move normal.dot
there also to retain personalisations it contains.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi
I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000

Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when
I choose New Document in the application?

--

Many thanks
JD

TF

Jackie

To clarify the recommendation...

Create a sub-folder under My Documents for your normal.dot (and any other
template that you may want to create for yourself) - maybe call it
'Templates'.
Open Word and go to Tools, Options, Templates and change the location of
User Templates to the new folder C:\My Documents\Templates.
Close Word and now move normal.dot (and any other templates) to the new
location.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when I
choose New Document in the application?
:
:
: --
:
:
: Many thanks
: JD

Jackie D

Hi guys

I hate to push my luck with you but I am also trying to move My Documents to
a different drive (to keep my exe files separate). I have right clicked on My
Documents and selected 'move' and chosen the new drive (F:\). Trouble is, the
old My Documents folder stays where it is so that I end up with two folders.
Should I just cut and past it to the new location?

"Jackie D" wrote in message
: Hi
: I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000
:
: Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when I
choose New Document in the application?
:
:
: --
:
:
: Many thanks
: JD

TF

Jackie

That's a Windows default location and it's hard wired in Windows. You might
like to try your luck with an appropriate Windows Newsgroup to see if there
may be a registry hack that enables it to be moved.

Terry

"Jackie D" wrote in message
: Hi guys
:
: "Jackie D" wrote:
:
: Thanks Pat, Suzanne, Graham and Terry. Your help was great. Templates
moved.
:
:
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: Jackie
:
: To clarify the recommendation...
:
: Create a sub-folder under My Documents for your normal.dot (and any
other
: template that you may want to create for yourself) - maybe call it
: 'Templates'.
: Open Word and go to Tools, Options, Templates and change the location
of
: User Templates to the new folder C:\My Documents\Templates.
: Close Word and now move normal.dot (and any other templates) to the
new
: location.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jackie D" wrote in message
: ...
: : Hi
: : I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000
: :
: : Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: : Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available
when I
: choose New Document in the application?
: :
: :
: : --
: :
: :
: : Many thanks
: : JD
:
:
:

TF

You'll find the information and download about Windows XP Toys he

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Graham is correct that the TweakUI does indeed let you change the location
of My Documents. Underneath the dialog, it is hacking the registry for you!

Terry

: "Graham Mayor" wrote:
:
: You can move it easily using TweakUI
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
:
:
:
: TF wrote:
: Jackie
:
: That's a Windows default location and it's hard wired in Windows. You
: might like to try your luck with an appropriate Windows Newsgroup to
: see if there may be a registry hack that enables it to be moved.
:
: Terry
:
: "Jackie D" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi guys
:
: "Jackie D" wrote:
:
: Thanks Pat, Suzanne, Graham and Terry. Your help was great.
: Templates moved.
:
:
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: Jackie
:
: To clarify the recommendation...
:
: Create a sub-folder under My Documents for your normal.dot (and
: any other template that you may want to create for yourself) -
: maybe call it 'Templates'.
: Open Word and go to Tools, Options, Templates and change the
: location of User Templates to the new folder C:\My
: Documents\Templates.
: Close Word and now move normal.dot (and any other templates) to
: the new location.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jackie D" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi
: I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000
:
: Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available
: when I choose New Document in the application?
:
:
: --
:
:
: Many thanks
: JD
:
:
:

Jackie D

Hi

Thanks for the link

: "Graham Mayor" wrote:
:
: You can move it easily using TweakUI
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
:
:
:
: TF wrote:
: Jackie
:
: That's a Windows default location and it's hard wired in Windows. You
: might like to try your luck with an appropriate Windows Newsgroup to
: see if there may be a registry hack that enables it to be moved.
:
: Terry
:
: "Jackie D" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi guys
:
: "Jackie D" wrote:
:
: Thanks Pat, Suzanne, Graham and Terry. Your help was great.
: Templates moved.
:
:
:
: "TF" wrote:
:
: Jackie
:
: To clarify the recommendation...
:
: Create a sub-folder under My Documents for your normal.dot (and
: any other template that you may want to create for yourself) -
: maybe call it 'Templates'.
: Open Word and go to Tools, Options, Templates and change the
: location of User Templates to the new folder C:\My
: Documents\Templates.
: Close Word and now move normal.dot (and any other templates) to
: the new location.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "Jackie D" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi
: I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000
:
: Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available
: when I choose New Document in the application?
:
:
: --
:
:
: Many thanks
: JD
:
:
:

Charles Kenyon

You can change (move) the location that Windows (and programs reading
Windows settings such as Word) look for the My Documents folder. Doing this
does _not_ move the contents of the folder. You have to do that yourself.
The old (now empty) folder will remain and I leave it alone in case some
program doesn't get the Windows settings and uses it.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
: Hi
: I'm running Windows XP Home and Word 2000
:
: Does anyone know if I can move my Word templates to My
: Documents for ease of backing up and still have them available when
choose New Document in the application?
:
:
: --
:
:
: Many thanks
: JD

Larry

For backup purposes, the thing to do is put a copy of Normal.dot (for
example, "Copy of Normal 2-12-05.dot" in some subfolder under your
Documents folder for easy backup. But Normal itself ought to remain in
the Templates folder. You can, technically, put a Normal.dot in any
folder you want, and make that folder your default template folder. But
you should use the designated folder, Templates, for this.

Larry