Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WordKing

Default How do I remove a font from the font menu in word?

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy onto the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the menu.
How is that done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson

Navigate to the font folder through Control Panel Fonts. Highlight the
font(s), right mouse click and choose delete. Remember that the font
might be listed more than once, once for each style (Regular/Roman,
Italic, Bold, Bold Italic).

If you did not choose to copy the files to the fonts directory, the
shortcut to the font will be deleted. If the font was copied to the font
directory (and that is the default action), the font file is deleted from
the fonts directory.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"WordKing" wrote in message
:I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto the
: hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
: thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
: How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WordKing

"WordKing" wrote in message
:I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto the
: hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
: thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
: How is that done?

Hi Tom, Thanks for responding so quickly. The fonts do not show up in the font folder. The thumb drive has been removed but the fonts that I previously used still are in the drop down menu. They no longer work because the thumb drive is not in the machine but they are still listed. I would like to get them out of the list. Thanks, WordKing

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Do these fonts appear in the list for new documents or just for the
documents in which they have been used? If a document uses a font that is
not present on the computer, it will still show up in the font box when the
insertion point is in a paragraph that uses that font (even though Word will
substitute another font for display and printing). If the fonts are showing
up in new documents, does this happen even after you restart Word or
Windows? Word should be querying the printer driver on startup and
displaying the fonts the printer can print (as listed in the Fonts folder).

If you're seeing the font listed "above the line" (in the Font MRU list),
see the appropriate article for your version of Word:

"WD2000: How to Turn off the Font Most Recently Used (MRU) List" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199785

"How to use the Registry Options (RegOptions) macro to examine Word settings
and to make changes to Word settings in the Windows registry" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318796

"How to change Word options in the Windows registry for Word 2003" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820917

"WordKing" wrote in message
:I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto the
: hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
: thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of

the
menu.
: How is that done?

Hi Tom, Thanks for responding so quickly. The fonts do not show up in

the font folder. The thumb drive has been removed but the fonts that I
previously used still are in the drop down menu. They no longer work because
the thumb drive is not in the machine but they are still listed. I would
like to get them out of the list. Thanks, WordKing

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WordKing

"WordKing" wrote in message
:I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto the
: hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
: thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of

the
menu.
: How is that done?

Hi Tom, Thanks for responding so quickly. The fonts do not show up in

the font folder. The thumb drive has been removed but the fonts that I
previously used still are in the drop down menu. They no longer work because
the thumb drive is not in the machine but they are still listed. I would
like to get them out of the list. Thanks, WordKing

The fonts always appear even when I close word and open it again for a new document. (I have not tried rebooting the machine) Not only over the line but under the line in the regular font list. If I reinsert the thumbdrive into the machine then I can use the fonts again but I don't ever plan to use them again. When the drive is out of the machine the fonts are still listed but a substitute font takes their place. The machine would not let me copy the fonts to the fonts folder with a message that they were already being used by windows.

Thanks WordKing

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I would suggest you try rebooting Windows.

"WordKing" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"WordKing" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Magnum.07

why dont you just shoot the guy who you share the computer with and then
permanenlty personalise it?
--
Myron Godinho

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy onto the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I share a computer with someone at work myself. It's not the computer that I
mind sharing, it's that when she comes into work, I have to move all of my
stuff into a small breakroom with a small table. If it wasn't that I use my
own craptop (which I volunteered to use) I'd have no computer. I have no
network access, no printer access, and no phone. May I use your advice so I
can stop moving my stuff for two days a week?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I rarely get calls at work so that part isn't a big issue. It's the no
printer access which really gets to me.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
no phone.

Bliss.

--

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy

onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of
the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding the odd situation but if you
miss printer access so much, why not buy a nice little printer for
your own use? You can buy a cheap Lexmark printer at Wal-Mart
for $39.99 or a faster, better quality HP or Canon printer for $80.
You can store the printer in the bottom of your locker when not in
use.

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy

onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

(1) No locker

(2) I'm still a temp. They should be glad that I'm willing to use my own
equipment and not charge them for its use.

(3) I don't need an extra printer for my personal use and I am not forking
over my money for the equipment and consumables for their use.

I know that sounds odd but I'm not getting big bucks. Even if I had my own
printer, I would still have to pay for the ink and I'm not going to pay for
supplies to do my job.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even
when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of
the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

Understand all that you said, but the problem remains:
How are you going to cope with an unfortunate situation
where you're relegated to a back corner with no phone or
printer access? You either (1) tolerate it for the duration of
the temp job, or (2) do something positive to change the
situation. Talk to Management. Explain how having a real
desk, phone, and printer access can make you even more
productive.

.. .

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Actually, there are talks about making me permanent. The VP just needs to
understand the need for another staff member and then approve the new
position. It has nothing to do with my ability, it's purely a budgetary
issue.

Believe me, I make sure they "remember" my situation whenever they ask me to
send them a file or get them a copy on those days when I am dislocated. ;-)

On a positive note, I have Office Pro XP on the laptop and only Word and
Excel 2000 on my work system. I prefer the newer versions. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not
copy
onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even
when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out
of the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Uncle Joe

In the meantime, why not write a book on using Publisher?
I have Publisher on my PC but have never taken the time
to study it. You're an MVP and have access to other MVPs.
There's always a demand for colorful, easy-to-understand
introductory books on topics. Earn some extra cash that
way.

If you want to become a permanent employee, good luck on
having the VP approve the change in your employment status.

"WordKing" wrote:

I share a computer. I use fonts off a thumb drive that I do not copy
onto
the
hard drive. These fonts continue to be on the drop down menu even when
the
thumb drive isn't in the machine. I would like to take these out of the
menu.
How is that done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

There are some books on Publisher. Nothing really in depth but enough for
the casual user. Barnes & Noble has a nice little one for $10.

And yes, I do want that job. I really enjoy working there. Keep your fingers
crossed for me. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Default font - possible bulletproof fix in Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 14th 05 09:14 PM