Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Default Limit number of Fill-In pop-ups

Hi, any assistance you could give would be appreciated.

I have a document with embedded sub-documents, and due to this the
mail-merge will be run multiple times on this document (no way to avoid
this). I have just discovered the neat Fill-In function, however the
required questions could be re-requested in the same (one-off) document
multiple times.

This document will be used to merge information from a database for one
particular client on an as needs basis, so is there a way to restrict the
Fill-In pop-ups so that they are asked only once (or X times, if that is
possible).

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have you at least discovered the \o switch in the FILLIN field, which should
mean that the user is only prompted once for each merge?

If you need to do better than that, it's probably best to consider a
different prompt mechanism - there are various ways to do it - for example,
a simple VBA inputbox can capture a value that you store in a Document
variable which you can insert in the merge output using { DOCVARIABLE }
fields. Or if your data source is an RDBMS of some kind, you could consider
storing the value in a 1-column, 1-row table: use a SQL outer join with your
original data source and your value should end up in every row you want to
merge.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
Hi, any assistance you could give would be appreciated.

I have a document with embedded sub-documents, and due to this the
mail-merge will be run multiple times on this document (no way to avoid
this). I have just discovered the neat Fill-In function, however the
required questions could be re-requested in the same (one-off) document
multiple times.

This document will be used to merge information from a database for one
particular client on an as needs basis, so is there a way to restrict the
Fill-In pop-ups so that they are asked only once (or X times, if that is
possible).

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Thanks for that Peter. Yes, I had seen the \o switch, alas I do need to do
better. As of yet, know nothing of VBA coding, looks like I have a new
project to investigate!

Thanks for the help.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
Hi, any assistance you could give would be appreciated.

I have a document with embedded sub-documents, and due to this the
mail-merge will be run multiple times on this document (no way to avoid
this). I have just discovered the neat Fill-In function, however the
required questions could be re-requested in the same (one-off) document
multiple times.

This document will be used to merge information from a database for one
particular client on an as needs basis, so is there a way to restrict the
Fill-In pop-ups so that they are asked only once (or X times, if that is
possible).

Thanks in advance.

Is there a limit on the number of merge fields I can use? Lee Mailmerge 2 December 12th 08 08:12 PM
Limit number of lines within a cell Goppi Tables 6 October 4th 08 10:49 AM
how do i limit the number of words on a page Mihosh Page Layout 1 November 28th 07 11:19 PM
Fill-in field limit Lupe Mailmerge 1 September 4th 07 06:16 PM
How do I limit the number of characters in a line? spikes Microsoft Word Help 1 September 11th 06 06:35 PM