Changing Default Cell Alignment in Word 2007

Old March 5th 09, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jane

Default Changing Default Cell Alignment in Word 2007

Hi,

Can I set default cell alignments anywhere in Word 2007 so that each table
(including those derived during labels/mail merge) will use the defaults?

Thanks,
Old March 5th 09, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PamC via OfficeKB.com

Yes, by setting the alignments in a table style and then making that table
style the default for docs using a particular template.

Old March 5th 09, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jane

Thanks Pam. Can I just check: if I want it used as the default for all
documents, do I need to change the Normal template?

Thanks,

Jane

Old March 5th 09, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PamC via OfficeKB.com

Yes, but I would hesitate to do that because of possible effects on other
features such as mailing labels. Making it the default in a template that
you use for a specific type of document have fewer potential problems.

PamC

Jane wrote:
Thanks Pam. Can I just check: if I want it used as the default for all
documents, do I need to change the Normal template?

Thanks,

Jane

Yes, by setting the alignments in a table style and then making that table
style the default for docs using a particular template.

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Thanks,

Old March 5th 09, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jane

Hi Pam,

I've actually been asked by a client this question in relation to mailing
labels! She was accustomed to the vertical centre alignment in Office 2003,
and wants to know if she can set this for the labels in Office 2007.
However, I was trying it yesterday, and did edit it in the Normal template.
I found it worked for a default table, but still not in the mailing labels.
Here were my steps:

- inserted a table
- right-clicked in the table styles area, and clicked on New Table Style
- changed the cell alignment (and font, just for testing)
- selected New documents based on this template
- right-clicked the new style in the table styles area
- selected Set as Default
- selected All documents based on the Normal.dotm template

I even then opened the Normal template and did it all over again!

As I said, it has worked for the standard table insertion, but has had no
impact on the mailing labels. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks,

Jane

Old March 6th 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PamC via OfficeKB.com

I did pretty much what you did. Reveal formatting showed that the table
style for the mailing labels is table grid. So I modified that style in
normal. But that didn't change the vertical alignment of the label. It
looks like the mailing label table formatting is hard coded in Word. That
_would_ be the best way to ensure that the labels work consistently. For
what it's worth, the same seems true for W2003. It seems my advice works for
all kinds of tables, but not mailing labels. Sorry.

PamC

Jane wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Thanks,

Old March 6th 09, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jane

Thanks Pam. So, there's obviously been a change in how Microsoft has set up
the default alignment of the labels, and that can't be changed? Is that
correct?

Thanks,

Jane

Old March 6th 09, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
PamC via OfficeKB.com

There doesn't seem to be a way through the interface (menus and such), but
there may be a way through VBA. You could ask the question in the
programming section.

Pam

Jane wrote:
Thanks Pam. So, there's obviously been a change in how Microsoft has set up
the default alignment of the labels, and that can't be changed? Is that
correct?

Thanks,

Jane

I did pretty much what you did. Reveal formatting showed that the table
style for the mailing labels is table grid. So I modified that style in

[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

Thanks,