Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Trainer Trainer is offline

Default wrong date format in mail merge

I am using Office 2007 on XP. I am doing a mail merge in Word with Excel as
my data file. I have 2 columns: name and date. My number format for Date
is set under Date Type to April 20, 2009, which is the spelled out date.
When it merges, I get 4/20/2009. How can I fix this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Date formatting in Excel is a property of the cell containing the date
value, not a property of the data itself. To have it render the way you want
it, right-click the date field in your Word main document & select Edit
Field. Click the Field Codes button, then add the following mask at the end
of the MERGEFIELD [field_name]:

\@ "MMMM d, yyyy"

After you OK out, hit the Update Labels button in the Mailings Tab Write &
Insert Fields group of Ribbon.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Trainer" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 on XP. I am doing a mail merge in Word with Excel
as my data file. I have 2 columns: name and date. My number format for
Date is set under Date Type to April 20, 2009, which is the spelled out
date. When it merges, I get 4/20/2009. How can I fix this?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Thanks for the confirmation. Glad it worked out well.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Trainer" wrote in message
Thank you. It works okay now that I did as you said.

Date formatting in Excel is a property of the cell containing the date

"Trainer" wrote in message
I am using Office 2007 on XP. I am doing a mail merge in Word with Excel
as my data file. I have 2 columns: name and date. My number format for
Date is set under Date Type to April 20, 2009, which is the spelled out