Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
blawhon blawhon is offline

Default re-choosing mail merge recipients

I have completed a Word 2003 mail merge to a letter where I've chosen some
recipients. Question: How do I keep from rechoosing the same recipients
when I create a #10 envelope mail merge with the same recipients? Thank you
in advance for your expertise! B
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

a. Which version of Word?
b. What type of data source? (Word? Office Address List? Excel?
Outlook? etc..., or could it be any type?)
c. Are you using the default connection method or choosing a
particular one (e.g. DDE for an Excel data source?)
d. Are you applying any filter criteria or sorting?
e. Are you selecting individual records, e.g. in the Recipents dialog box?

If you can answer those questions it might be possible to put together a
bit of VBA that might help, assuming that you know how to make use of
VBA macros.

Otherwise, I doubt if there is a simpler, more reliable way than doing
the obvious manual method of
a. closing the letter mail merge main document (primarily to release
the data source, which will probably be locked)
b. opening the envelope mail merge main document
c. selecting the same data source and applying the same sorts and
filters as you did for the letter

Another manual way that looks even more tedious and unreliable to me
would be to maintain two documents with the necessary merge fields - one
for the letter and one for the envelope. Then
a. open your letter, select the data source and filter as necessary
b. do your letter merge
c. delete everything in your letter
d. open your envelope document and edit-copy/edit-paste the entire
contents into the "letter" document
e. alter the merge document type using the first button in the mail
merge toolbar (View Toolbars to enable it if you don't see it)
f. do the envelope merge

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

blawhon wrote:
I have completed a Word 2003 mail merge to a letter where I've chosen some
recipients. Question: How do I keep from rechoosing the same recipients
when I create a #10 envelope mail merge with the same recipients? Thank you
in advance for your expertise! B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
blawhon blawhon is offline

a. 2003; b. Data source is Word save to local; c. ? d. no filter, I choose
recipients by checking the box left of the name; No sort; Yes, selecting
individual records in recipient box;

I will have to try your suggestion below on next mail merg - thank you!!