Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default what was this?!

While typing at the start of a document, suddenly everything after
where I was typing jumped to the next page!

Running Word 97 on Win98FE
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:
I started with a 3 page document originally written in Teims Roman 10,
went to the top line and first character to make a page break section,
now there are 4 pages, with the first page blank. I separated headers
and footers. so far so good. I expect the final document to have 4
pages.

Ok, now working on the first page. I wanted Arial 11 [default was
Times Roman 10], so highlighted a single blank space character,
changed it to Arial 11 and inserted text from Notepad. [several
paragraphs]

All is fine. I then went up to the top of this first page and started
writing. Whoa! Times Roman 10 keeps coming up. Ok go to options and
change to Arial 11, check that every character and space on the first
page is proper and keep on typing, but suddenly! I now have a giant
blank space below where I'm typing and have 5 pages ?!!! What!?

Ok, go to normal view and there is a dotted line, with no label, and
impossible to get the cursor to sit on it, keeps jumping over it. Ok,
go to the end of my recent writing [at the top of that first page] and
hit delete until I 'pull' the second page back up, yes. that worked.

But when I started typing again the whole document jumped and again I
have 5 pages.

The dotted line has no label, so no idea what it is.

What feature could this irritation possibly be?

How to disable it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The dotted line is a page break; note that you cannot type across a section
break. If the text in Section 1 exceeds a page, it's going to create a new
page, not flow to the existing page 2.

It's not clear from your post whether what you inserted was a section break
or a manual page break, but you can't type across a manual page break,
either.

http://word.mvps.org

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

[...]

You may have discovered what happened. Instead of Word properly
thinking of the paragraphs as completely separate-able text, Word
'thought' the paragraphs were non-separable [albeit never labeled as
such]. So, as soon as I typed enough at the top, Word conscientiously
put in a page break and moved what it thought was a complete section
to page 2.

However, I never marked these paragraphs as a section, nor would
Notepad do that. Nor are they labeled in anyway by Word so I could
remove the label.

What caught me off guard is that there is no label and NO section
breaks identifying the inserted paragraphs as a complete section. And
there seemed no way to tell Word that I don't want these paragraphs as
a section and allow it to put page breaks anywhere in the middle of
the text.

How do I remove this 'automatic irritation, and get Word to split the
paragraphs appropriately for page break, other than typing them in by
hand?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If Word is treating the text as a single lump, then it could be because it
is formatted as "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" or because it is
actually a single paragraph (with line breaks rather than paragraph breaks)
formatted as "Keep lines together." But my point is that you don't create
pages to put text in. You put text in and Word creates the pages. If you
want a different header/footer on the first page, you can enable "Different
first page" and insert a page break (Ctrl+Enter) temporarily while you are
creating the header/footer content, but you should not leave the page breaks
in the blank document.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Dec 3, 6:32*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If Word is treating the text as a single lump, then it could be because it
is formatted as "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together" or because it is
actually a single paragraph (with line breaks rather than paragraph breaks)
formatted as "Keep lines together." But my point is that you don't create
pages to put text in. You put text in and Word creates the pages. If you
want a different header/footer on the first page, you can enable "Different
first page" and insert a page break (Ctrl+Enter) temporarily while you are
creating the header/footer content, but you should not leave the page breaks
in the blank document.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

I did not purposely mark anything as "Keep lines together." but I
finished the document and once completed, all this problem became a
moot point.

You describe an interesting twist to my thought process. I create a
page and then add text, because, my thought process is "take a sheet
of paper, put words on it" as one does when writing. Not, let's "put
down some words, and a page magically appears around it." Maybe my
age is showing. I'm so used to taking blank space and filling it in,
not having the wrapper expand to contain what I pushed into it, just
not intuitive for me. Also, creating the page first, gives me a
little control over that display jumping back and forth, [you
described how this is addressed in Word 2007 in another thread]

Thank you for your help. Where do I check for this "Keep lines
together." formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That is a problem if your new to word processing. Fundamentally, Word
doesn't have pages: it is only when you want to print (or display a wysiwyg
view) that Word interrogates the printer driver parameters to arrange the
pages the way the printer will print them. It is a different concept.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Keep lines together" is on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph
dialog, reached via the dialog launcher (small arrow in the bottom right
corner) in the Paragraph group on the Home tab. Or it is usually on the
context (right-click) menu.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Dec 4, 1:55*am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
That is a problem if your new to word processing. Fundamentally, Word
doesn't have pages: it is only when you want to print (or display a wysiwyg
view) that Word interrogates the printer driver parameters to arrange the
pages the way the printer will print them. It is a different concept.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Thank you. That explains something I saw as I worked between to
different systems [with different printers] with the same document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Dec 4, 4:17*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
"Keep lines together" is on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph
dialog, reached via the dialog launcher (small arrow in the bottom right
corner) in the Paragraph group on the Home tab. Or it is usually on the
context (right-click) menu.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Thank you. I used to simply insert some blank lines and play other
games to control what this feature controls directly.