Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
minimus[_3_] minimus[_3_] is offline

Default microsfot to work on a tex editor

I don't understand. Out there are numerous tex editors such as winedt, led,
texmacs, scientific word, lyx, etc....
Why MS does not enter to that market and make a kicking tex ediyor for
creating latex documents?
All the academics are looking for a user friendly tex editor. And there is
hardly a good one out there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

What "market"? The overwhelming majority of what you mention ‹ plus most of
what you don't ‹ is freeware in the first place. And almost every user's
preference/opinion differs.

Let's assume that MS was willing to invest the necessary time & money in
developing, marketing, distributing & supporting such a product... Would you
be willing to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$600/copy?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/14/09 7:43 AM, in article ,
"minimus" wrote:

I don't understand. Out there are numerous tex editors such as winedt, led,
texmacs, scientific word, lyx, etc....
Why MS does not enter to that market and make a kicking tex ediyor for
creating latex documents?
All the academics are looking for a user friendly tex editor. And there is
hardly a good one out there.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Andrzej Andrzej is offline

What is the market?

Here you a

Scientific word: $630.00 (http://www.mackichan.com/)
Bakoma: 100 Euro (http://www.bakoma-tex.com/menu/purchase.php)
WinEDt: $70 (http://www.winedt.com/registration.html)

Word2TeX 4.1 http://www.word2tex.com/store/ ($300)
TeX2Word 2.5 http://www.word2tex.com/store/ ($300)

etc.

Almost all scientific publishers require Latex format for the papers.
For example
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/aut...authors/elsart
http://www.springer.com/engineering?...175-6-784710-0
etc.

You can see how many scientific journals there are in the world.
http://www.sciencegateway.org/rank/index.html

Google search for "Latex template" return 2,280,000 results form diffrent
journals conferences etc.
I was working for several universities in Europe and in the USA and in all
of them scientists and students use Latex. Additionally many students have to
learn Latex to get the degree.
To me it doesn't look like a small market.

Regards,

Andrzej

"CyberTaz" wrote:

What "market"? The overwhelming majority of what you mention €¹ plus most of
what you don't €¹ is freeware in the first place. And almost every user's

.