Buttonman88 Buttonman88 is offline
Junior Member

Default Style Formatting Restrictions Loophole???

Hi

This is a query about the Manage Styles Restriction Protocols. I know how to prep and implement the feature but am I doing something wrong, because I have noticed the following things and they perplex me.

I have created a template, set up a select few styles and permitted them, restricted all others and then locked down the styles with a password. However, when users create new documents based on this template...

THEY CAN REACTIVATE SUPPOSEDLY RESTRICTED STYLES FOR THEIR DOCUMENT... to achieve this, they

1. Display the Styles Pane (ctrl+alt+shift+S)
2. Click the Manage Styles Button (bottom rightmost button on the Pane)
3. Go to Restrict Tab
4. Select a Padlocked style and click the PERMIT button
5. Click OK (no password challenge or message confronts them!)

The released style is then listed in the Styles Pane and they can use it!!! This is supposed to be impossible. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, persistent bug bears that linger when I use the Style Protection Feature

1. Even tho I set up a very controlled list of styles, users want the Autoformat feature that superscripts date ordinals (st, nd, rd, th) to continue functioning. However much I tick the ALLOW AUTOFORMAT TO OVERRIDE FORMATTING option, it keeps resetting to blank and won't stay ticked!

2. The option for NEW DOCUMENTS BASED ON THIS TEMPLATE in Manage Styles - why won't this stay active when you choose it and click OK - it keeps reverting back to ONLY IN THIS DOCUMENT.

Any pointers gratefully received. My version is Word 2007.

M.