Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shawn shawn is offline

Default Default Word 2007 to "No Spacing"?

Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under the
Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2, Contact,
Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that with the
spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shawn shawn is offline

Yes, I know I can change styles.

I'd like it to ALWAYS use no spacing by default. When I create a new
document it's "normal" and I don't want that at all.

"shawn" wrote in message
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under
the Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2,
Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that
with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no
spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Open Normal.dotm; show paragraph marks (click the ¶ in the paragraph group of
the home tab); select the paragraph mark (the only thing in the file); and
change its style to no spacing. Save and close normal.dotm.

There may be some downsides to doing this (I can only think of one), so keep
your change in mind when you get unexpected results.

THT,
Pam

shawn wrote:
Yes, I know I can change styles.

I'd like it to ALWAYS use no spacing by default. When I create a new
document it's "normal" and I don't want that at all.

Apply the Word 2003 style set. (Change Styles on the Home Tab)

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no
spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The normal style in the Word 2003 style set has no spacing, thus by changing
the style set, you change the default spacing.
Tables always use the normal style by default.
Labels created by the label tool should eliminate the extra space (though in
practice they don't always) - see
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

"shawn" wrote in message
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under
the Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2,
Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that
with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no
spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shawn shawn is offline

Yes, I can change the style, but I can't find where to make it ALWAYS use
that style by default. Everytime I start Word or a new file it defaults to
Normal.

The way they did that label crap in 2007 really sucks. I used to be able to
fit more information on a label. I also used to be able to hit enter to make
a carriage return on the label and then start typing. No longer.. now when
you hit enter it moves the whole label down on the page.

"shawn" wrote in message
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under
the Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2,
Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that
with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to no
spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you tried setting the Word 2003 style set as the default?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"shawn" wrote in message
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing" under
the Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2,
Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do that
with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change it to
no spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shawn shawn is offline

I can't find where to set it, though. That's what I'm asking this whole time
lol.

..... went to look again and found it this time. Thanks so much guys.

I had gone to the little button that opens up the Style Pane. I didn't see
the little drop down arrow above that where it says "Change Styles" and in
there I set to default.

"shawn" wrote in message
Is there a setting to make Word 2007 default to use "No Spacing"
under the Styles of the Home Tab?

It's very annoying that it defaults to normal. I never use it!!! It's
especially when doing a Mail Merge and I have to put Name, Name2,
Contact, Address, Address2, etc.. all on one tiny label. Can't do
that with the spacing it does by normal. Each time I have to change
it to no spacing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, some options are more difficult to find than others. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP