Formula plus text in a cell question

Old July 25th 12, 08:22 PM
enigmaes enigmaes is offline

Default Formula plus text in a cell question

Complicated, but here we go.

I have a document (close to 300 pgs) that is line-numbered for quality control. I put the number 1 in the first line, and every line below that I used a formula: "=MAX(ABOVE)+1" to create the line numbers. This way, I can add lines in the middle, and the numbers can be redone in a few keystrokes.

Fine.

After that, I need to reference the line numbers in other parts of the document. So, I highlight the line number, which encompasses the formula, and give it a bookmark label. Again, fine.

When I need to reference it, I type text around it, so that it looks like

Also see section 500.2, (# )

After the # sign, I insert a formula that says "=ABS(bookmark)" This works great, because if I throw more lines in the middle, the references automatically update.

so, here's the question -

What if I have TWO sections to reference that are on different line numbers?

Also see section 500.2 (#)
And see section 500.3 (#)?

IS there a way to get two different values returned?
=if(abs(bookmark1) not equal to abs(bookmark2),abs(bookmark1)" "(Bookmark2)," ")
or something.... How do I do that?

TIA!

Last edited by enigmaes : July 25th 12 at 08:35 PM.

Formula for non blank cell Penny Miller Tables 3 December 4th 08 10:46 PM
Copy a Table Formula to Another Cell Robert T Tables 5 January 12th 07 12:37 AM
cell addresses and formula? Susan Tables 4 June 30th 06 04:18 AM
Formula & Cell #s Carla Tables 1 September 17th 05 12:28 AM
Adding formula in the cell Wi$hma$teR Tables 0 July 19th 05 12:52 PM