Resizing a table column

Old January 13th 05, 05:13 PM
ChristieD

Default Resizing a table column

AHHHHH! Finally someone else has this issue. It is driving me crazy. This is
the second time it has happened to me. I don't know what I did to fix it the
first. but after it fixed itself, it was working until yesterday.

Now that it has again stopped allowing me to resize by dragging, I can't
drag any of the previously created tables columns to a width I want, either
in this doc or in any doc - even a new doc I create with a new table. I can
resize the columns the manual way (table properties - slow and tedious) or
via the ruler. But I cannot resize by dragging the column widths.

I have tweaked with all the automatic/non-automatic settings. I closed Word.
I did the Office 2003 update. I shut down the computer & re-started. I
created tables with various table settings and sizes. All have no affect.

I emailed the document home and opened it on my home computer - all worked
fine. I saved the doc there, emailed it back, opened it here, and NOT FINE.

Like Neal, I have used MSWord forever - for creating manuals, for creating
doc's, etc. I am EXTREMELY familiar with Word. Word 2003 is the first version
in which I encountered this issue. If I can't resolve this soon, I fear I
will have to just go back to Office 2000 or something because it is so
frustrating. I have searched the web, searched MS, searched everywhere to no
avail. Please help.......

"Neal Fuerst" wrote:

Folks - I'm at my wits end. I've read every thread I can find about resizing
a column width in a table. So far, nothing has worked. As a side note, I've
been using Word since the very first commercial version and consider myself
to be quite knowledgable. But, this one has me pulling my hair out.

Old January 14th 05, 08:41 PM
ChristieD

Yes - I've tried it with it on and off. As I mentioned, I've tried every
variation I can find.

Old January 19th 05, 09:27 PM
ChristieD

So dang it. Now it fixed itself again. That is a good thing, but I sure wish
I knew what was causing it.
Old January 20th 05, 12:07 AM

I feel your pain. I just spent an hour on the phone with a Dell tech support
person trying to troubleshoot an intermittent noise that of course wouldn't
manifest itself on cue. g

Old January 17th 11, 09:58 AM
GG Bodge GG Bodge is offline

AArrgghh!!!! Please help. I woke up this morning and gremlins attacked my computer overnight. I'm having the same problems with my table resizing as the previous posts - "....stopped allowing me to resize by dragging, I can't drag any of the previously created tables columns to a width I want, either in this doc or in any doc - even a new doc I create with a new table. I can resize the columns the manual way (table properties - slow and tedious) or via the ruler. But I cannot resize by dragging the column widths".. Even more strangely, I can click and drag to adjust row height, but not column width.

I have done all the tweeking and restarting etc. of the computer with no success. I am a long-term user of Word and consider myself to know the ins and outs of the program. But I can't figure this one out and yes this drives me crazy.

Anyone else had this problem and solved it since the last post all those years ago.

Old January 19th 11, 06:57 PM
Creeper1313 Creeper1313 is offline

Interesting. We have one user (so far) reporting this same behavior today on her Word 2003/Windows XP system at our 50 person company (got to this forum/thread via google).

Odd that it would have seemingly reared it's head in 2005 and then waited until January 2011 to crop up again. Perhaps some bug introduced in this week's Windows Updates? If so, strange that it's affecting her Word but not mine and another co-worker's. I had her send me a file she was experiencing it in as a test... columns resize fine in my copy of Word 2003 (same behavior that ChristieD reported 6 years ago).

I'd be interested in anyone else has any ideas on a cause/fix. Probably going to resort to reinstalling Office on her machine if this persists.

GG, have you installed any other--even 3rd party--software recently before this cropped up? My user couldn't think of any, but maybe some common thread can be found if you name something that jogs her memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Bodge View Post

Old October 5th 13, 08:38 AM
Paul_In_Tbilisi Paul_In_Tbilisi is offline

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by handeiere View Post
I'd be interested in anyone else has any ideas on a cause/fix. Probably going to resort to reinstalling Office on her machine if this persists.
A workaround and clue to the underlying problem...

I just got this same problem today using Word 2003. I'm still not sure what the root problem was but - in my case - I had two documents open which were nearly identical. These were document templates I'd been sent to use with a heavily tabulated cover sheet.

I had to close one of these down before I could drag columns by their border lines again.

This didn't just affect documents based on that template - I opened a blank document and inserted a table. So long as I had both of those other documents open I couldn't drag columns in my new blank document either (or in any other open documents). Closing one of those two near-identical documents cleared the problem in all other open documents.

So, I found a work around which might give someone a clue as to why it happened. There were no macros that I could see in any of these documents, though the two document templates did include a few cold fields linked to the document properties sheet. Other than something screwy going on with the column width settings in these documents somehow causing a conflict, that's the only thing which was out of the ordinary with these docs.