Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Logikal1 Logikal1 is offline

Default why do I get [a lot of] duplicate labels when I use mail merge?

I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD [which has
disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a mail merge of
approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But, when I went to preview
I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to constant duplications! They're
supposed to be in alphabetical order, yet they keep jumping back and
restarting at different points. How can I correct this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the deliberate
mistake, however I suspect you are previewing the source document and not
completing the merge. You must merge to a new document or the printer to see
the merge as it is completed see
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm.
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

This was exactly the same in 2003!

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Logikal1 Logikal1 is offline

Dear Graham,

while your site is AWESOME and was helpful- I HIGHLY recommend it to
everyone!-unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem. I went through the
label process step by step, and S.O.B- i still ended up with literally dozens
and dozens of duplicates. Where I should have had about 120 labels, I ended
up with 339!

They are scattered throughout the label merge, so they might go albacore,
alpha, angel, attitude. alpha, badly, banter, angel, attitude, barcode,
barter, canopy, badly, banter, etc.

I can't figure out for the life of me WHY it's doing this! I also found the
usual voice controls for 'edit' 'paste' and 'cut' don't work with my voice
softwa which makes my life a lot harder ( I have MS, so typing is time
consuming when I have to do it manually)

I'm still very open for HELP!

thanks in advance
Logikal 1

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you sure that there are Next Record fields in all "labels" in the
mail merge main document except for the first one?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Logikal1 Logikal1 is offline

Thank you Graham and Doug for your help!

I did finally manage to get my labels created without duplicates. I renamed
all the categories and rematched them. Then I skipped PREVIEW and went
straight to FINAL. I ran into more problems at that point.

For whatever reason the '07 PRINT Fx refused to work properly with my brand
new Canon all-in-one. I wanted to print out just a few pages at a time, but
couldn't set the function to 'choose pages 3-5'. I could print out the page
I was on, but that''s it Yet, I can print out using any choice (all, current
page, etc) without problems if I'm using '03.

DragonSpeak 9.5 doesn't work 100% with Office 07. Standard dictation is ok
but commands are no longer recognized. I'll have to contact Nuance to see if
there is a patch which will fix the problem. Also, any document formatted in
07 can't be read by previous versions of Word. Great. I have to convert all
my work done so far in 07 before the trial is over.

I'm NOT impressed by 07. I think Microsoft made a lot of things harder for
no particular reason. Seems everything has an extra step. You want to print?
Ok, go to the Office sign, click it, drop down to Print, go over to select
one of the choices for Printing, now select one of those....you get the idea.
I had to make my own toolbar to cut down on the constant back and forth
required by the new format.

For those who love to brag they have the latest and greatest software they
are welcome to this latest Microsoft update. It really doesn't do anything
better than previous versions. The time it takes to train staff to learn a
whole new layout is something I have to consider before ordering it for my
company. Personally, I don't think it's worth an extra $500 for even my own
computer.

Logikal 1

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The merge function/print function has not in essence changed with Word 2007.
It works exactly as it did before albeit with some differences in some
dialog boxes. When you merge a label merge document to a new document each
page of the resulting document is a new section and each section will have
one page i.e page 1. If you want to print a range of pages then you should
address the pages by section rather than page number eg to print the third
'page' put s3 in the Print Pages box. print 'pages 3 - 5' put s3-s5 in the
print pages box. It was ever thus!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made
a mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc.
But, when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels
due to constant duplications! They're supposed to be in
alphabetical order, yet they keep jumping back and restarting at
different points. How can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rita1107 Rita1107 is offline

Default Standard Toolbars for MS Word 2007

I couldn't get the system to let me leave a "new" message, so I'm attempting
to get a solution to my problem by writing here. I want the Standard
Toolbars for MS Word 2007 but have not been able to get them. My friend, who
also has MS Word 2007 has the standard toolbars, but neither of us can figure
out how to get them on my computer. I've looked everywhere.

Can anyone help me with this problem.
Thanks much

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made
a mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc.
But, when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels
due to constant duplications! They're supposed to be in
alphabetical order, yet they keep jumping back and restarting at
different points. How can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are no 'standard toolbars' in Word 2007 except the QAT (Quick Access
Toolbar) which by default will be above the ribbon, though you can move it
to below the ribbon to give more space. If your friend has 'toolbars' then
he must be using some form of add-in to provide them.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Are you sure that there are Next Record fields in all "labels"
in the mail merge main document except for the first one?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007
WORD [which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck].
I made a mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added
graphics etc. But, when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get
over 390 labels due to constant duplications! They're supposed
to be in alphabetical order, yet they keep jumping back and
restarting at different points. How can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Robert is offline

I am having the exact same problem! Using '07' with mail merge of data from
access db the print preview shows a single page of the 30 addresses I wish to
print address labels for, yet when I print I get 3 pages of the first record
of the preview! All records with the exception of the very first has
NextRecord prior to the addressblock and so far nothing I have tried is
allowing me to print ONE page of 30 labels which of course is also the number
of records I have selected from my db. HELP!

Robert

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Robert Robert is offline

because I am not a office 2007 wiz and I was following the microsoft tutorial
on address label creation. Does not do anyone much good if their tutorials
instructions don't even work.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the
deliberate

Logikal1 wrote:
I'm trying to print out ONE set of labels using the new 2007 WORD
[which has disabled my 2003 version so i'm really stuck]. I made a
mail merge of approximately 100 titles and added graphics etc. But,
when I went to preview I got a shocl: I get over 390 labels due to
constant duplications! They're supposed to be in alphabetical order,
yet they keep jumping back and restarting at different points. How
can I correct this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm and see
where what you are doing differs from that.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If you chose to install 2007 alongside Word 2003, both should be
available,
though not without some conflicts - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

From your description of the merge it is impossible to spot the