Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default tab after footnote reference number

Word2007. I want a very usual footnote formatting -- the reference
number followed by a tab to align the first line with the hanging
indent.

I can't find any way to format the handling of the footnote number --
even to change from superscript to on the line followed by period. The
Numbering panel of Format for the Footnote Text style claims it has
"None" numbering, so that's not where to do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could insert it manually, or you may be able to modify the macro at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...scptFnotes.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message
Word2007. I want a very usual footnote formatting -- the reference
number followed by a tab to align the first line with the hanging
indent.

I can't find any way to format the handling of the footnote number --
even to change from superscript to on the line followed by period. The
Numbering panel of Format for the Footnote Text style claims it has
"None" numbering, so that's not where to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks. It's incredible that something so common can't be adjusted
within the program. (And I don't have an Uncle Bob.) (Can numbering
footnotes be _so_ different, internally, from numbering paragraphs??)

n Jan 6, 12:39*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You could insert it manually, or you may be able to modify the macro athttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/UnSuperscptFnotes.htm

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message

Word2007. I want a very usual footnote formatting -- the reference
number followed by a tab to align the first line with the hanging
indent.

I can't find any way to format the handling of the footnote number --
even to change from superscript to on the line followed by period. The
Numbering panel of Format for the Footnote Text style claims it has
"None" numbering, so that's not where to do it.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I have seen a nightmare document where footnote reference marks had
been deleted and ordinary list numbering applied to the Footnote Text style.
They renumbered as expected when new footnotes were added, so they appeared
to work, but the formatting was extremely confusing to a stranger taking on
the document (and IIRC, that stranger was you).

http://word.mvps.org

"grammatim" wrote in message

Word2007. I want a very usual footnote formatting -- the reference
number followed by a tab to align the first line with the hanging
indent.

I can't find any way to format the handling of the footnote number --
even to change from superscript to on the line followed by period. The
Numbering panel of Format for the Footnote Text style claims it has
"None" numbering, so that's not where to do it.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And it was just a side benefit that double-clicking on the footnote
reference in the text didn't take you to the footnote, and vice
versa ... and that footnotes ended up on pages far from where they
belonged ...

"grammatim" wrote in message

Word2007. I want a very usual footnote formatting -- the reference
number followed by a tab to align the first line with the hanging
indent.

I can't find any way to format the handling of the footnote number --
even to change from superscript to on the line followed by period. The
Numbering panel of Format for the Footnote Text style claims it has
"None" numbering, so that's not where to do it.---

punchysandoval punchysandoval is offline
Junior Member

Create a macro titled InsertFootnote. Make sure you are adding it as a Global template. You can assign it to the same keyboard shortcut as Word's default shortcut for inserting footnotes (ctrl-alt-f). Here is the macro code:

Sub InsertFootnote()

ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range

With Selection
.InsertAfter vbTab
.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End With