Possible to make different column-widths in same table?

Old March 8th 09, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Larryq22

Default Possible to make different column-widths in same table?

I need to create a table for multiple-choice survey questions. Is it
possible to have a wide column for the question, and narrower columns for the
response choices under it? For example:

Row 1. "Are you registered as a Democrat or a Republican?"
Row 2. Democrat
Row 3. Republican

I would like Row 1 to be wide enough for the entire question, but rows 2 & 3
to be narrower to fit the responses. Maybe I need to create a table within a
table?

Thanks,
Larry
Old March 8th 09, 06:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, column widths in a table can certainly be adjusted (tables would be
pretty much useless if they couldn't). How it's done depends to some extent
on your version of Word, but the simplest way in most versions is just to
drag the column dividers (borders, gridlines) or the markers on the ruler.
For some other ways of doing this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm

http://word.mvps.org

Old March 8th 09, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Larryq22

Thanks, but apparently I was unclear. What I want to create is a table where
column one, row one, is one width; and column one, row 2 is a different
width. As far as I can tell, dragging column borders affects all rows in
that column.
Old March 8th 09, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Larryq22

No need to reply. I figured it out. Thanks for your help.

Larry
Old March 8th 09, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com

And for the benefit of others who need to know what "it" is, you must select
the row(s) that contain the cells whose widths you need to vary and also you
need to hold down the Shift key (or the Alt and the Shift keys for more
precise control) while using the mouse to resize the columns to keep the
overall table width the same.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Larryq22" wrote in message
No need to reply. I figured it out. Thanks for your help.

Larry

How can I repeat column widths from one table to another? bcm Tables 1 July 7th 08 11:39 AM
Table, column and cell widths Mary Ann Tables 5 November 20th 07 09:31 AM
Table and column widths Mary Ann Tables 0 October 29th 07 05:26 PM
Table column widths Biddy Tables 7 August 28th 07 11:49 AM
Table column widths DanB Tables 5 June 23rd 05 11:37 AM