Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Slater Mike Slater is offline

Default Data Link Properties dialogue box

I'm having a problem that has only recently started. I have a form in Word
2003 that I uses an Excel file as a data source when doing a merge. I've
been doing this merge for more than a year now, but recently, when I try to
perform a merge a "Data Link Properties" dialogue box opens asking for the
name of the Access file and a Username and Password. I can't figure out how
to get around this. Any help wouold be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A reason why this may be occurring:

Your Excel workbook has changed (possibly even been corrupted) in a way
that makes it impossible for the Access/Jet OLE DB provider to get the
data. By default, Word 2003 uses this provider to get data from Excel,
which is probably why you are seeing messages that mention "Access" when
you are actually trying to get data from Excel.

Things you might have done to your workbook that could affect this
include stuff such as
i) making your workbook password-protected (Word/OLE DB can't see
through that)
ii) creating lists/databases/outlines within the relevant worksheet

If your workbook/worksheet is very simple (e.g. just a rectangular table
of data with no formulas etc.) it is probably worth exporting your data
to a format such as .csv, then recreating your workbook and re-importing
the data.

I suppose it is also possible that if you have updated Word 2003
recently, a Microsoft update has introduced yet another obstacle to
simple mailmerge operation.

If none of the above helps, a possible short term workaround is to
copy/paste your Excel data into a new Word document and use that as the
data source for your merge (depending on how many columns your worksheet
has, you may find that the copy/paste creates a word table or a set of
tab-delimited Word paragraphs).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Mike Slater wrote:
I'm having a problem that has only recently started. I have a form in Word
2003 that I uses an Excel file as a data source when doing a merge. I've
been doing this merge for more than a year now, but recently, when I try to
perform a merge a "Data Link Properties" dialogue box opens asking for the
name of the Access file and a Username and Password. I can't figure out how
to get around this. Any help wouold be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Slater Mike Slater is offline

Thanks Peter!

Unfortunately it's not a simple worksheet, however, it is small enough that
the copy/paste should work. I'll give it a try.

It's also possible it's corrupted. The whole workbook is a rather large
"automated" schedule running on a network. Something Excel isn't really good
at.

Regards,

Mike

Data link properties MarkN Mailmerge 2 December 6th 06 11:20 AM
Data Link Properties Dialog Box Anita Taylor Mailmerge 2 October 17th 06 10:39 PM
Data Link Properties justlearnin Mailmerge 1 March 26th 06 08:52 PM
"Data Link properties" S Johnson New Users 1 January 4th 05 05:55 PM
Data Link Properties Window shouldn't come up. Cindy M -WordMVP- Mailmerge 0 November 30th 04 05:24 PM