Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
eman eman is offline

Default Highlighter Or Something Like that :-)

Hi,

Here under the line you can see a small part of subtitles of a movie. As you
can see there are paragraphs of 3, 4 and 5 short verses. For example 1st
paragraph is with 3 verses, 2nd is with 4 verse and the 5th is with 5
verses.

The 3rd paragraph is with 5 verses and it is wrong (for me). I want only
paragraphs with 3 and 4 verses.

What I am looking for is, if it is possible that Words can mark
automatically paragraphs with 5 verses for example with a color instead of
checking manually all the document, because subtitles of a movie are very
long!

Maybe it's impossible but I am just asking.

I always remember of Google highlighter, it is very usefull when you are
searching for a word because you can see the word colored easily. Maybe
there is something similar in Word.

Thanks in advance

574
00:29:55,960 -- 00:29:58,087
I know. I have no idea.

575
00:29:58,163 -- 00:30:00,996
It's, like, the wrong time to let
the guy know that you're crazy.

576
00:30:01,065 -- 00:30:03,533
- You know what I mean? It's not how
I'd play it.
- Yeah.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"eman" wrote in message
Hi,

Here under the line you can see a small part of subtitles of a movie. As
you can see there are paragraphs of 3, 4 and 5 short verses. For example
1st paragraph is with 3 verses, 2nd is with 4 verse and the 5th is with 5
verses.

Where is "here"? You've provided no link or anything.

The 3rd paragraph is with 5 verses and it is wrong (for me). I want only
paragraphs with 3 and 4 verses.

See above.....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Assuming that when imported into Word each line ends with a paragraph mark,
and there is an empty paragraph between each 'verse' then the following
macro will highlight all the sections with 5 or more paragraphs in yellow.

Sub HiLightFive()
Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTest As Range
Dim i As Long
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(1).Range
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count
Selection.MoveDown wdLine
Set oTest = Selection.Paragraphs(1).Range
If Len(oTest) = 1 Then
oRng.End = oTest.Start
If oRng.Paragraphs.Count 4 Then
oRng.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
End If
oRng.Start = oTest.End
End If
Next i
End Sub

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Testing the macro on the 125 pages of subtitles from 'The Godfather III',
the macro takes just over a minute to run through and mark the whole
document. In doing so I came up with a minor refinement which will allow you
to re-mark the document by running the macro again with a different value
for the number of lines. Setting the value to 1 will remove the highlight,
though there are much faster ways to remove the highlight e.g.

Sub RemoveTheHighlight()
ActiveDocument.Range.HighlightColorIndex = wdAuto
End Sub

Revised macro:

Sub HiLightFive()
Dim oRng As Range
Dim oTest As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim iPara As Integer
iPara = InputBox("Highlight how many lines?", _
"Subtitle", 5)
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Paragraphs(1).Range
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Paragraphs.Count
Selection.MoveDown wdLine
Set oTest = Selection.Paragraphs(1).Range
If Len(oTest) = 1 Then
oRng.End = oTest.Start
If oRng.Paragraphs.Count = iPara Then
oRng.HighlightColorIndex = wdYellow
Else
oRng.HighlightColorIndex = wdAuto
End If
oRng.Start = oTest.End
End If
Next i
End Sub

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I guess it was a complete waste of time for Graham to include the parts that
say, "In Word 2007..."?

http://word.mvps.org

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
eman eman is offline

Hi Suzanne, you are trying to be smart!!!!!!!!!! The link Graham suggested
is for 2000-2003.
And Suzanne I am not asking you but thanks anyway. What I need is how can I
use the document (or macro) that Graham posted?
Or I have to install Macro first? I am new to this and I am confused.

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you incapable of scrolling down past the first screen? The article at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm has several sections specifically
devoted to Word 2007. If you are too stubborn to find them, then you're on
your own.

http://word.mvps.org

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
eman eman is offline

I read everything and still can't understand how to use macro. Do I have to
paste the subtitles first and then I click on the macro? Do I have to click
on macro first then I paste the subtitles? When I am clicking on the macro
it is deleting all the subtitles and are being replaced by the macro that
Graham wrote! I really need step by step because I am a newbie. Still have
no idea at all.

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You have to install the macro by following the instructions in Graham's
article. Then you run it.

http://word.mvps.org

eman wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The link - http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm explains how to
install macro listings in all Word versions that can use the macros, with
separate illustrations for Word 2007 where appropriate.

The page uses a macro listing to update fields in a document as an example.
You simply replace that listing with the listing from my earlier message.
All of this is explained on my web page.

If you attach the macro to a button on the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) as
shown, then with the subtitle document opened and displayed in Word (For the
purpose of testing, I opened the SRT subtitle file in Word 2007.) clicking
the toolbar button will cause the macro to run on that document. I don't
know how to explain it any more simply.