Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DW Roberts DW Roberts is offline

Default Keep multi-level list items on same page, or move to next?

Hi everyone,

I am working on my doctoral thesis in Word 2007, and I have an appendix
where I need to display names with some characteristics, for example:

JOHN SMITH
- 48 years old.
- Married.
- Two children.

I need to make sure that these multi-level lists stay on the same page, or
move onto the next page if they don't have enough space. My current problem
is that I cannot find a way to do this, and so I constantly have this problem:

JOHN SMITH
- 48 years old.
====end of page====
- Married.
- Two children.

Is there any elegant way that I can force this sort of list onto the next
page if it doesn't have enough space? I've been playing with widow/orphan
controls and trying to keep lines together, but this is driving me insane!

It's possible that lists simply cannot do what I want, in which case I would
value any suggestions (maybe using a table?).

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you!

DW Roberts.
London School of Economics.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Mark each paragraph in your list-groups except the last one "Keep with
Next." If each of the lines has a different paragraph style -- ot, if
the last line of each set has a different paragraph style from the
other lines in the list -- you can make it part of the Style for each
paragraph except that last item in the list.

You find "Keep with Next" on the second tab of the Format Paragraph
panel. You can add that command to your QAT.

On May 23, 4:34*pm, DW Roberts
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DW Roberts DW Roberts is offline

Dear grammatim,

You're an absolute legend, thank you! I spent many long hours inside on a
sunny Saturday afternoon in Scotland trying to figure this out, and it didn't
seem to be on ANY website or forum. Of course, it seems crushingly obvious in
retrospect, but I would never have thought to do it myself. I'm eternally
grateful - thanks again!

Yours sincerely,

DW Roberts.
London School of Economics.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's also the easiest way to keep a table all on one page. Select (by
click-&-dragging) all but the last row (of your table or your list)
and hit the button on the QAT. Unfortunately it's one of the buttons
that drags a really long name with it that you can't edit.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good thing "Keep with next," "Keep lines together," and "Page break before"
are among the buttons (with custom icons) that I brought over from Word
2003.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I can fully appreciate that convenience but using the Dialog Launcher in the
Paragraph Group or Right-Click Paragraph works fine for me :-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/23/09 6:26 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Good thing "Keep with next," "Keep lines together," and "Page break before"
are among the buttons (with custom icons) that I brought over from Word
2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The special advantage to toolbar buttons (especially in Word 2003 and
earlier) is that you can see which of these properties have already been
applied to a paragraph without resort to the dialog (since the buttons are
toggles with on and off states).

http://word.mvps.org

.. .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Good thing "Keep with next," "Keep lines together," and "Page break
before"
are among the buttons (with custom icons) that I brought over from Word
2003.

Piekop Piekop is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the golden tip! You sure saved me some time!

Greets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammatim[_2_] View Post