Undo sections within a chapter in long doc and retain footnote num

Old February 3rd 13, 08:43 AM
kaye123 kaye123 is offline

Default Undo sections within a chapter in long doc and retain footnote num

I put my doc together section by section, and then chapter by chapter using" insert" function. Each chapter starts with new footnote 1. Now because I am making changes to one whole chapter it creates another problem (doesn’t matter what - it is unavoidable) and I am redoing the same section multiple times. I need to do a smaller section (not the whole chapter) at a time and retain continuous footnote numbering.

So I need to undo each section in my document while I make changes and put it together later. Also I am sending it by email to a proof-reader and I want to send off a few sections at a time, so better if the footnotes can follow on.

I can’t remember how I cut out sections and repasted without losing continuous footnote numbering. (maybe I never did). If I do it by cut and paste my footnotes return to number 1. (as we know)

Is there a better way of doing it than redoing each page by restarting at the last footnote number from previous section? I lost a few bits of info off my footnotes so I have another copy I refer to which has been useful. So would really like continuous numbering.

Anyone have any advices please? Looked in various tutorials but can’t find answer. Maybe I am not asking the right question. Aldo I tried taking the last footnote line from previous document but it still started at number 1
kind regards

Last edited by kaye123 : February 4th 13 at 07:57 AM. Reason: more information
Old February 12th 13, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

In theory, footnotes can be set to restart in one section and be continuous
for the rest of the sections (which I think is what you are trying to
accomplish), but this doesn't work—unless it has been fixed in Word 2013,
which I have not yet tested. The settings in the Footnote and Endnote dialog
box apply to *all* sections (all continuous or all restarted).

As a workaround, consider mixing footnotes and endnotes to create a separate
sequence of numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old February 12th 13, 08:52 AM
kaye123 kaye123 is offline

Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
In theory, footnotes can be set to restart in one section and be continuous
for the rest of the sections (which I think is what you are trying to
accomplish), but this doesn't work—unless it has been fixed in Word 2013,
which I have not yet tested. The settings in the Footnote and Endnote dialog
box apply to *all* sections (all continuous or all restarted).

As a workaround, consider mixing footnotes and endnotes to create a separate
sequence of numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
kaye123 [/i][/color]
Hi Stefan

I read a post about working with seperate chapters starting at footnote 1 each time. As far as unhooking goes I managed to alter the document as it is . It meant a lot more work and I kept having to alter the footnote tab but it was easy enough. Just a lot of work.

I will keep sections seperate from now and only put them together when I send it to the typesetter. Or she can put them together which I think is better. Decided to stay with footnotes and the typesetter can undo the footnote seperator as she goes so so she can capture them. I just hope the new macro I did in word for altering the way they are displayed holds. She has worked with footnotes before so I presume her clients removed the seperator. She can put them on the right page. It may take longer, and more expensive, but solved my problem with staying with footnotes.

Many thanks

...[color=blue][i]

Old February 12th 13, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

You mean that you are keeping sections as separate files? That is sometimes
helpful.

If the typesetter accepts PDFs, bringing the separate files together after
you have converted them to PDFs (using freeware PDF converter, for example)
might also be a possibility.

I'm not sure how footnote separators are relevant, but, reading the thread
in a newsreader, I don't get the full context ...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

;493945']In theory, footnotes can be set to restart in one section and

Old February 13th 13, 12:53 AM
kaye123 kaye123 is offline

Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
You mean that you are keeping sections as separate files? That is sometimes
helpful.

If the typesetter accepts PDFs, bringing the separate files together after
you have converted them to PDFs (using freeware PDF converter, for example)
might also be a possibility.

I'm not sure how footnote separators are relevant, but, reading the thread
in a newsreader, I don't get the full context ...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
kaye123 [/i][/color]
Yes sorry. Thought we spoke about this before. My typesetter showed me how she can only pick up text without footnote in her design package and said that I would have to remove the footnote line. At the time I thought this was not possible, and started looking at endnotes that I didnt want. However it is possible for her to pick up the text including footnotes if she removes the seperator. I just didnt want her getting things mixed up and I thought it would be a lot more expensive. If she does a section at a time she should be ok. Anyway that is not relevant to this topic. Shouldnt have mentioned it.
Old February 13th 13, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

But you do know how to delete the footnote separator in a Word document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

;493952']You mean that you are keeping sections as separate files? That

Old February 14th 13, 03:43 AM
kaye123 kaye123 is offline

Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
But you do know how to delete the footnote separator in a Word document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
kaye123 [/i][/color]
No not without looking at instructions and I have a set of them that go through this. Thought it seemed simple enough.Isnt it?
I have another worse problem I am tryng to solve because of macros so you may hear from me again.
cheers
Old February 14th 13, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

To work with footnote separators: Switch to Draft view (Word 2007 or later).
Click the References tab, and then click Show Notes. In the footnotes pane,
click the arrow next to the drop down and choose Footnote Separator. You can
then delete the separator (or replace it with something else if you wish).
You can do the same for the Footnote Continuation Separator.

Do post back with additional questions/follow-ups. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493959']But you do know how to delete the footnote separator in a Word
document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
kaye123

Old February 14th 13, 11:38 PM
kaye123 kaye123 is offline

Smile

Quote:

"kaye123" wrote in message

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493959']But you do know how to delete the footnote separator in a Word
document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
kaye123

Ok thanks Stefan. I will look at it, But the Footnote Continuation Separator?
I wasnt aware of it so I will have a look. The typeseter said to change it to a line. I didn't think I could. I will try this.

You will see I responded to the topic "changing footnote to a number by changing macro "at microsoft community. (I see you are also a member). A thread I started and someone else wanted info on.
As a result I have a real problem and I may have to post again so I hope someone can help once I recreate the problem and I can explain it. I will continue to try and sove it but I think it is a unique problem caused by changing my global template. My user name ends with 999. Thought you should know. Dont want to misrepresent.

Thanks for your time again

Last edited by kaye123 : February 15th 13 at 12:24 AM. Reason: clarification
Old February 15th 13, 09:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Some features are well hidden in Word. :-)

Yes, I contribute to the Microsoft Community as well. Actually, the
Community (formerly Microsoft Answers) is the predecessor of the
microsoft.public.word.* newsgroups, which (a few years back) were hosted on
Microsoft servers. Nowadays, the groups have a life of their own here on
Usenet... Traffic is relatively slow, as you may have noticed.

I'm not sure which thread in the Community you are referring to. Posting a
link would help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493964']To work with footnote separators: Switch to Draft view (Word
2007 or later).
Click the References tab, and then click Show Notes. In the footnotes
pane,
click the arrow next to the drop down and choose Footnote Separator. You
can
then delete the separator (or replace it with something else if you
wish).
You can do the same for the Footnote Continuation Separator.

Do post back with additional questions/follow-ups. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--