MP42 MP42 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Netherlands
Post Dutch version of Word 2010 translates \p references incorrectly

My Dutch version of Word 2010 does not properly translate relative cross references. I am working on an English document and I want to use a { REF _Ref3240958 \p }

Language settings for the document are English (US). I have language tools such as English dictionaries available.

Yet, whatever I try, I only get 'onder' instead of 'below' in my text. Weirdly, when I select Dutch it becomes 'hieronder' (which is correct) and in German it becomes 'unten'.

Apparently there is a problem only with the English variant. Anyone know if this can be fixed?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Dutch version of Word 2010 translates \p references incorrectly

If you apply a flavor of English to the relevant text (both the
cross-referenced item and the cross-reference) the language should be
correct.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MP42" wrote in message

My Dutch version of Word 2010 does not properly translate relative cross
references. I am working on an English document and I want to use a {
REF _Ref3240958 \p }

Language settings for the document are English (US). I have language
tools such as English dictionaries available.

Yet, whatever I try, I only get 'onder' instead of 'below' in my text.
Weirdly, when I select Dutch it becomes 'hieronder' (which is correct)
and in German it becomes 'unten'.

Apparently there is a problem only with the English variant. Anyone know
if this can be fixed?

--
MP42

MP42 MP42 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Netherlands

Well, that is what I tried. However, only with the English languages this does not translate, but uses the Dutch word 'onder'. This is different from the word used when I select Dutch language (then it is 'hieronder'), but still the wrong language.

It really looks like a translation error.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Strange. I don't see that problem here (with English, I mean).

Just to be clear, you did remember to update the field (select it and press
F9)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MP42" wrote in message

Well, that is what I tried. However, only with the English languages
this does not translate, but uses the Dutch word 'onder'. This is
different from the word used when I select Dutch language (then it is
'hieronder'), but still the wrong language.

It really looks like a translation error.

--
MP42

MP42 MP42 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Netherlands

[sorry to reply so late]

Yes, I did update. I can actually see the text change, only in English it changes from 'hieronder' to another Dutch word: 'onder'.

So, from what I am seeing, the English translation in the Dutch version of Word is wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have sent an e-mail to fellow MVPs (and to the Office Product group).
Hopefully, someone will be able to tell if this is a known issue.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP