MTD

Default How do I save a mail merge form letter to separate files?

I have successfully merged data into a form letter (47 pages) but I need to
save each page as a separate document file. Is there an easy, automated way
to accomplish this?

Hi,

Yes, but you would have to go to a commercial (not free) software such as my
OctoTools. The software can easilly handle what you are doing (including
the mail merge) but is better justified for automatically processing medium
to high volume throughputs. If you have a volume process requirement, let
me know and we can discuss further how to automate the process. Thanks for
your time.

Larry T larry "at" jbmsystems "dot" com 978 535-7676
Doug Robbins

Here is a free method

Sub splitter()

' splitter Macro

' Macro created by Doug Robbins to save each letter created by a mailmerge
as a separate file.

Dim i As Long, Source as Document, Target as Document, Letter as Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
For i = 1 to Source.Sections.Count
Set Letter = Source.Sections(i).Range
Letter.End=Letter.End-1
Set Target = Documents.Add
Target.Range=Letter
Target.SaveAs FileName:="Letter" & i
Target.Close
Next i

End Sub

Or, if you want each file to be named based on one of the fields in the data
source,
here's a method that I have used that involves creating a separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext