Special characters on laptop without numeric keypad

Old October 22nd 05, 04:11 AM
LurfysMa

Default Special characters on laptop without numeric keypad

Is there a way to enter the Alt+0xxx codes on a laptop without a
numeric keypad?

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Old October 22nd 05, 08:19 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

On some laptops, you hold down the function (Fn) and the Alt key and use the
M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8, 9 keys that have the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
8, 9, 0 on them. With others, to activate those keys, it is necessary to
use the Fn key and a Num Lk to turn on the numeric function of those keys
and then use them in conjunction with the Alt Key.

You can also insert them via the InsertSymbol dialog and for most of them,
there is keyboard shortcut displayed there when you select each symbol.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old October 22nd 05, 05:16 PM
LurfysMa

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:19:33 +0200, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:

On some laptops, you hold down the function (Fn) and the Alt key and use the
M, J, K, L, U, I, O, 7, 8, 9 keys that have the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
8, 9, 0 on them. With others, to activate those keys, it is necessary to
use the Fn key and a Num Lk to turn on the numeric function of those keys
and then use them in conjunction with the Alt Key.

You can also insert them via the InsertSymbol dialog and for most of them,
there is keyboard shortcut displayed there when you select each symbol.

Thanks for the tip. It turns out that my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) has
a "Keypad Lock" feature that is activated by Fn+F8. Once activated,
the Alt+0nnn works using the imbedded numeric keypad as you suggested.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Old October 23rd 05, 06:40 PM
Stan Brown

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:27 -0700 from LurfysMa
:
Is there a way to enter the Alt+0xxx codes on a laptop without a
numeric keypad?

(1) In Microsoft Word, use the hex (not decimal) codes and then press
Alt-X afterward.

(2) Does your laptop (like mine) have an Fn key? You may be able to
enter the characters without shifting into numeric mode by pressing
Alt+Fn simultaneously; it works for me (except in Word). For
instance, to get the degree mark I press and hold Alt+Fn, press M
(0), J (1), 7, O (6), and release Alt+Fn: . I don't use the top row,
but the characters that would be the numeric keypad if I were in
numeric mode.

Otherwise, a third-party application is needed. Allchars seems to be
a popular recommendation, though I haven't installed it myself.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You find yourself amusing, Blackadder."
"I try not to fly in the face of public opinion."
Old October 23rd 05, 07:33 PM
LurfysMa

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:40:56 -0400, Stan Brown
wrote:

Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:27 -0700 from LurfysMa
:
Is there a way to enter the Alt+0xxx codes on a laptop without a
numeric keypad?

(1) In Microsoft Word, use the hex (not decimal) codes and then press
Alt-X afterward.

I'm not sure what you mean. The degree character is Ascii 176 or Hex
"B0". I tried typing "B" then "0" then Alt-X. Didn't work. Is that
what you meant?

(2) Does your laptop (like mine) have an Fn key? You may be able to
enter the characters without shifting into numeric mode by pressing
Alt+Fn simultaneously; it works for me (except in Word). For
instance, to get the degree mark I press and hold Alt+Fn, press M
(0), J (1), 7, O (6), and release Alt+Fn: . I don't use the top row,
but the characters that would be the numeric keypad if I were in
numeric mode.

I was able to get this to work.

Old October 23rd 05, 10:18 PM
LurfysMa

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 15:28:37 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Hex is 00B0.

What exactly do I type?

I tried "00b0" and then alt-X.

I tried using the top row numbers and the imbedded numeric keypad
numbers.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Old October 23rd 05, 11:13 PM

This method works only in Word 2002 and above. But you can still insert the
character in a number of other ways. In Word, the built-in keyboard shortcut
is [email protected], Spacebar.

Old October 23rd 05, 11:42 PM
LurfysMa

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:13:05 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

This method works only in Word 2002 and above.

Oh, OK. I will be upgrading soon, so I'll try it then.

But you can still insert the
character in a number of other ways. In Word, the built-in keyboard shortcut
is [email protected], Spacebar.

Yes, I was aware of that for the degree symbol. I was interested in a
general solution for any special character. Thanks.

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000
Old October 24th 05, 02:12 AM
Stan Brown

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:33:11 -0700 from LurfysMa
:
wrote:
(1) In Microsoft Word, use the hex (not decimal) codes and then press
Alt-X afterward.

I'm not sure what you mean. The degree character is Ascii 176 or Hex
"B0". I tried typing "B" then "0" then Alt-X. Didn't work.

"Didn't work" doesn't give us much to go on. What happened?

(I just tried it, and it works fine for me. Word 2003 -- maybe this
feature isn't in Word 2000?)

Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Windows 2000

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You find yourself amusing, Blackadder."
"I try not to fly in the face of public opinion."

numeric keypad jeanie Microsoft Word Help 1 June 12th 05 01:53 AM
finding special characters New Users 2 June 1st 05 09:51 AM
Alt key and numeric pad no longer give me special characters.???? Guitarman Microsoft Word Help 1 May 20th 05 02:54 PM
Difficulties mail merging special characters from excel to word 20 Nondejuu Mailmerge 1 January 5th 05 01:30 PM
En-dash and Em-dash without numeric keypad? Top Spin New Users 3 December 30th 04 04:44 PM