Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
sarah1234[_2_] sarah1234[_2_] is offline

Default Tables and Templates

Hi there

In Word 2003 I am setting up a template for the creating of user
manuals, using linking fields (Include Text, also known as Insert File
(as Link). However, the tables are posing a problem. All those in
the know (MVPs) warn against setting up table styles. Instead, it
seems we will have to insert a table, then apply a style to the text
(I'll call it 'TableText' - which happens to be Times New Roman 11, as
is the body text style for the whole document, and the definition of
Normal style).

The problem I'm having is that when I insert text and then make a word
bold using the Strong style (which is set up with the same font and
size as 'TableText'), this text reverts to the original font when I
inserted the table - not 'TableText' but something totally different
(larger and in Verdana i.e. annoying). After the Strong style text, I
try to go back to TableText. First of all the shortcut key set up for
Strong won't turn it off (any suggestions?), and secondly, if I select
it back to TableText it changes the selection to Verdana, not the
Times New Roman defined for TableText.

My guess at the moment is that I'll have to tell users to Insert a
table, select it and apply TableText, then make any needed words
Strong after finishing typing the line rather than immediately after
typing the word. Assuming I get the Strong style working properly!

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you can create an AutoText entry based on a table, formatted the
way you want it; this includes applying the desired paragraph style(s) to
cells. Then you can easily insert the AutoText whenever you want that
particular type of table. For more on AutoText, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoText.htm.

To restore the font settings of the underlying paragraph style, and clear
the character style from text, you can press Ctrl+SpaceBar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sarah1234" wrote in message
[...]

Flash 8 Templates... Looking for better designs? Ready-Made Templates. sherman Microsoft Word Help 0 January 12th 07 12:10 AM
Tables in Templates Annette Tables 1 March 23rd 06 11:29 PM
Borders, tables and bullets when designing templates! JillyW Microsoft Word Help 2 June 22nd 05 02:26 PM
saving tables as templates Bronia Tables 4 April 4th 05 08:05 PM
Tables in Templates Ryan Anderson Page Layout 1 January 26th 05 10:50 AM