Andrew

Default Unable to select/highlight text with mouse

I'm running Word 2003 on WinXP SP2. For some reason, my mouse seems to
longer work in the document pane.

I can use it to select options from the menus and toolbars. However, I
cannot use it to move the cursor in my document, or to select text. Neither
left-clicking nor right-clicking work in the document pane.

I have never experienced this behaviour before.
garfield-n-odie

Maybe you activated the Select Objects tool (the big white arrow)
at the left end of the Drawing toolbar? If yes, then click on
the Select Objects tool again to turn it off.

Andrew wrote:

I'm running Word 2003 on WinXP SP2. For some reason, my mouse seems to
longer work in the document pane.

I can use it to select options from the menus and toolbars. However, I
cannot use it to move the cursor in my document, or to select text. Neither
left-clicking nor right-clicking work in the document pane.

I have never experienced this behaviour before.

Andrew

Thanks garfield-n-odie,

Unfortunately that isn't the problem.

Also, when I move the cursor over different parts of the pane, the cursor
icon changes in the normal way (eg: at the far left of the pane, it changes
to a right-pointing arrow; inside text it becomes an I pointed; at the top of
table columns it points down; etc).

Andrew wrote:

I'm running Word 2003 on WinXP SP2. For some reason, my mouse seems to
longer work in the document pane.

I can use it to select options from the menus and toolbars. However, I
cannot use it to move the cursor in my document, or to select text. Neither
left-clicking nor right-clicking work in the document pane.

I have never experienced this behaviour before.

Andrew

Thanks Suzanne. The document wasn't protected for forms.

In the end, a reboot fixed the problem. But I never found out what caused it.

Thanks anyway.

Andrew