Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Default Font Properties for Cross References?

Fellow Forum Members,
Where do the global Font Properties for all the Cross References reside? I
need to change all my figure cross references and table cross references to
BOLD and BLUE, and what is making it difficult is that all the cross
references are fields that seem to have no way of globally changing them. Can
anyone out there provide any ideas on how to globlally change the font
properties for all of the fields that make up the cross references? Any help
will be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Binar:

Up to Word 2003, there is no way to set the appearance of cross-references
as you describe. I don't know about Word 2007, but I rather doubt it.

I think you could use a search and replace operation to accomplish your goal
as follows.

1. Create a character style with the color and underline.

2. Search for ^d REF. The ^d finds opening field brackets; the REF limits
your search to cross-references.

3. Replace with "" but with your character style. That is, don't enter any
replacement text, but use the More button and Format Style to apply your
character style to the Replace With box.

I'd suggest testing this on a dummy copy.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Bear,
Thanks for the help. I'm kind of embarrassed here because I can't seem to
get past Step 2. I'm doing a Search for "^ REF" and Word tells me "Word has
finished searching the document. The search item was not found." Just to
double check. I'm using the carat symbol that is located above the number 6
in the number 6 key. I also tried a copy and a paste of your "^ REF" search
and I get the same message from Word. Do you have any idea why the ^ REF is
not finding what it's suppose to find? Thanks again.

"Bear" wrote:

Binar:

Up to Word 2003, there is no way to set the appearance of cross-references
as you describe. I don't know about Word 2007, but I rather doubt it.

I think you could use a search and replace operation to accomplish your goal
as follows.

1. Create a character style with the color and underline.

2. Search for ^d REF. The ^d finds opening field brackets; the REF limits
your search to cross-references.

3. Replace with "" but with your character style. That is, don't enter any
replacement text, but use the More button and Format Style to apply your
character style to the Replace With box.

I'd suggest testing this on a dummy copy.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Binar:

Sorry, my fault. You must first toggle your field code display. Tools
Options View Field Codes check box should be checked. That way, rather
than displaying the x-reffed material, Word displays the field code,
something like:

{ REF Ref_9034893409 }

You couldn't find any instances of ^d REF because none were being displayed.

And when I said to replace with "" you don't type the quotes in the Replace
With box. I should just have said to leave that box blank.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Bear and Suzanne,
Thanks a lot for the help. It works like a charm! 427 Figure and Table Cross
References changed in the blink of an eye! Again thanks a lot for a very
elegant solution that got me out of the hole I was in.
Cheers,
Binar

"Bear" wrote:

Binar:

Sorry, my fault. You must first toggle your field code display. Tools
Options View Field Codes check box should be checked. That way, rather
than displaying the x-reffed material, Word displays the field code,
something like:

{ REF Ref_9034893409 }

You couldn't find any instances of ^d REF because none were being displayed.

And when I said to replace with "" you don't type the quotes in the Replace
With box. I should just have said to leave that box blank.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binar binar is offline

Bear,
I just discovered something interesting. When you do a PRINT PREVIEW all of
the cross references go back to the way they were without the Bold Blue
applied. Do you think there is any way to make the change permanent? If not,
it's not a big deal because performing the Find & Replace operation to change
all of the cross references doesn't take a lot of time. Thanks