Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

Default gremlins

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

You may also want to take turn off some AutoFormat As You Type settings, in
Tools | AutoCorrect Options, AutoFormat As You Type tab. In particular, the
"Define styles based on your formatting" causes trouble in association with
styles. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

2. Does this happen with all documents or a particular one?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?
-----------------------

I'll try your suggestion, Stefan. Thanks.
I've noticed it only on one, but it may affect others as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes
style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps
I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?
-----------------------

I'll try your suggestion, Stefan. Thanks.
I've noticed it only on one, but it may affect others as well.

If you can reproduce problem 2 in a blank document, you may want to rename
the normal.dot template (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/...cnotblank.htm).

If it happens in an existing document, treat it as corrupt. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

Stefan, your suggestion worked for the style gremlins, and I thank you; but
some of the drop caps I enter still disappear. Any ideas on that?

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Unfortunately not. I've never seen anything like that (which doesn't mean
much, since I hardly ever use drop caps). Do you see the problem under any
specific circumstances?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes
style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps
I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes
style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps
I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

stefan, no specific circumstances. Seems to be at random. Appreciate your
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You could rename the Normal template, just in case there is some corruption
involved (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...cNotBlank.htm).
Beyond that, I have no more suggestions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rich" wrote:

My Word 2003 program has developed a couple problems: 1) It changes
style
specifications on its own periodically. 2) It eliminates drop caps
I've
created periodically. Any idea how to correct this?

stefan, no specific circumstances. Seems to be at random. Appreciate
your
help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich Rich is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You could rename the Normal template, just in case there is some corruption
involved (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...cNotBlank.htm).
Beyond that, I have no more suggestions.

--
How would I rename the Normal template, and what would that accomplish? I note that periodically Word asks me if I want to save changes to the normal template, when I intended to make no changes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See the article I linked to. For information on document corruption, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm; and for even more on
trouble-shooting in Word, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.

--