Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Word 2003 messes up my page numbering

I use Word 2000. I saved a document onto my USB drive. I went to
school, plugged in the USB, and opened the document. The school
computers have Word 2003 on them. I worked on the document. When it
was finished, I inserted page numbers into the footer. Instead of
numbering the pages from 1-207, it started each section over again.
I'm not sure if it started renumbering each time it got to header 2,
header 3, or a page break.

I couldn't get the numbering to go straight through, so I printed the
document without page numbers. This is a PITA.

I'd like to know how to open my documents WITHOUT adding in the
new-fangled Word 2003 features. Like messed up page numbers. Is
there a setting that will let me preserve the features that I like and
that are in my Word 2000 documents?

*(((({

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Restarting page numbering is the same in Word 2000 and Word 2003; there is
no reason that opening your document on a different computer or in a
different version would make any difference. Are you using the Insert | Page
Numbers feature or the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar? If the latter (preferred), click on the Format Page Number button
in each section and select "Continue from previous section."

"*((({" wrote in message
I use Word 2000. I saved a document onto my USB drive. I went to
school, plugged in the USB, and opened the document. The school
computers have Word 2003 on them. I worked on the document. When it
was finished, I inserted page numbers into the footer. Instead of
numbering the pages from 1-207, it started each section over again.
I'm not sure if it started renumbering each time it got to header 2,
header 3, or a page break.

I couldn't get the numbering to go straight through, so I printed the
document without page numbers. This is a PITA.

I'd like to know how to open my documents WITHOUT adding in the
new-fangled Word 2003 features. Like messed up page numbers. Is
there a setting that will let me preserve the features that I like and
that are in my Word 2000 documents?

*(((({

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

My documents are always set to continue page numbering from the
previous section. I tried Insert Page Number from the drop-down
menu. When that didn't work, I opened a fresh document and tried
opening the footer and inserting the page numbers there.

Since my 200+ page document has more than 100 headings using Heading
Style #3, and since it looked like I would have to page all the way
through, changing each instance to "continue from previous section," I
just gave up and printed without page numbers.

Then I had a good cry and went to class with my un-numbered document,
my nose and eyes red and oh god it was just pitiful to see a
middle-aged woman in law school looking like that.

:-(

There's GOT to be a setting some place that is messed up. Since I can
open the document on my home computer, insert page numbers (either
way), and get them to run continuously from 1-206, why can't I do that
using the school's Word 2003?

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:34:42 -0600,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Restarting page numbering is the same in Word 2000 and Word 2003; there is
no reason that opening your document on a different computer or in a
different version would make any difference. Are you using the Insert | Page
Numbers feature or the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar? If the latter (preferred), click on the Format Page Number button
in each section and select "Continue from previous section."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm not sure I understand the connection between Heading 3 and page
numbering unless you're inserting a section break before each heading. If
so, something more than Word is the problem here, as that should not be
necessary. I think you are misunderstanding something, but I'm not sure
what.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Restarting page numbering is the same in Word 2000 and Word 2003; there

is
no reason that opening your document on a different computer or in a
different version would make any difference. Are you using the Insert |

Page
Numbers feature or the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar? If the latter (preferred), click on the Format Page Number

button
in each section and select "Continue from previous section."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I KNOW I'm misunderstanding something! lol

There are section breaks in the document, because some text is set to
columns. That automatically creates a section break, when you return
to single column. Maybe the renumbering was restarting after every
column change. Is that a relevant clue?

*(((({

In the last exciting episode on Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:40:25 -0600,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the connection between Heading 3 and page
numbering unless you're inserting a section break before each heading. If
so, something more than Word is the problem here, as that should not be
necessary. I think you are misunderstanding something, but I'm not sure
what.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I think this is what we've been telling you from the outset. If you have
Continuous section breaks falling in the middle of a page, then you can have
sections in which the numbering restarts, but they are not accessible from
the Header and Footer toolbar. There are two possible approaches:

1. Insert a temporary page break in the section that falls in the middle of
the page, then use Format Page Number on the H&F toolbar to set numbering to
"Continue from previous section."

2. With the insertion point in the inaccessible section use Insert | Page
Numbers: Format.... After setting the format, click OK, but be sure to click
Close rather than OK back in the main dialog so that you don't insert
another page number field.