Heidi M.

Default Prompt a mail merge with Fill-in

I am trying to create a letterhead template for our company in Word 2000. I
have a mail merge data soure set up with the sender's name, office, phone #
and email address. I would like to set up a fill-in prompt for the sender to
enter their name and this would automatically start the merge and populate it
with their information. Is this possible and if so, HOW???? Thank you for
all your help!!!!
Doug Robbins

Mailmerge is not really the best thing for that. Better to use a UserForm

See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

On such a form, you could have a list box that automatically gets populated
with the details for all of the employees and then when an employee is
selected from the list and a command button is clicked, the data for that
employee would be entered into the appropriate places in the document that
is being created.

This routine loads a listbox with client details stored in a table in a
separate
document (which makes it easy to maintain with additions, deletions etc.),
that document being saved as Clients.Doc for the following code.

On the UserForm, have a list box (ListBox1) and a Command Button
(CommandButton1) and use the following code in the UserForm_Initialize() and
the CommandButton1_Click() routines

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Dim sourcedoc As Document, i As Integer, j As Integer, myitem As Range,
m As Long, n As Long
' Modify the path in the following line so that it matches where you
saved Clients.doc
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
' Open the file containing the client details
Set sourcedoc = Documents.Open(FileName:="e:\worddocs\Clients.doc" )
' Get the number or clients = number of rows in the table of client
details less one
i = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Rows.Count - 1
' Get the number of columns in the table of client details
j = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Columns.Count
' Set the number of columns in the Listbox to match
' the number of columns in the table of client details
ListBox1.ColumnCount = j
' Define an array to be loaded with the client data
Dim MyArray() As Variant
'Load client data into MyArray
ReDim MyArray(i, j)
For n = 0 To j - 1
For m = 0 To i - 1
Set myitem = sourcedoc.Tables(1).Cell(m + 2, n + 1).Range
myitem.End = myitem.End - 1
MyArray(m, n) = myitem.Text
Next m
Next n
' Load data into ListBox1
ListBox1.List() = MyArray
' Close the file containing the client details
sourcedoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Integer, Addressee As String
Addressee = ""
For i = 1 To ListBox1.ColumnCount
ListBox1.BoundColumn = i
Addressee = Addressee & ListBox1.Value & vbCr
Next i
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Addressee").Range.Insert After Addressee
UserForm2.Hide
End Sub

The Initialize statement will populate the listbox with the data from the
table and then when a client is selected in from the list and the command
button is clicked, the information for that client will be inserted into a
bookmark in the document. You may want to vary the manner in which it is
inserted to suit our exact requirements, but hopefully this will get you
started.

To make it easy for you, the code has been written so that it will deal with
any number of clients and any number of details about each client. It
assumes that the first row of the table containing the client details is a
header row.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
#
and email address. I would like to set up a fill-in prompt for the sender
enter their name and this would automatically start the merge and populate
it
with their information. Is this possible and if so, HOW???? Thank you
for
all your help!!!!

Heidi M.

Doug,

Thank you so much for your help. I have been pulling my hair out trying to
figure this out.

Heidi

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Heidi M.

Doug,

Sorry to bother you again but I am getting hung up on the "defining" and
"load"ing the client data into "MyArray". I have the source doc open while
working on the user form but missing something somewhere.

Thanks,
Heidi

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Doug Robbins

Heidi,

It doesn't have to be done manually. The code I gave you is for the
Initialize event of the userform. When the userform is initialized by
creating a new document from the template, using FileNew, the listbox will
automatically be populated with the data from the table in the source file.