Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJL CJL is offline

Default Changing Chapters in Figure Numbering

This should be simple but I am coming up blank. I am working on a report and
would like the Figure Captions to change with the Chapter. So you could have
Figure 1-1 in Section 1.1; Figure 1.2.1-1 in Section 1.2.1 etc...

I understand how to tie the Caption to a Style but if you switch the style,
it switches the numbering in the entire document. So when I try to tie the
Style to Heading 3 for Figure 1.2.1-1, it changes the the Figures in Section
1.1 also.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Cathie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would advise against this. It may seem logical to you, but it won't to the
reader. Instead, use consistent caption numbering throughout each major
section division; that is, stick with 1-1 (or 1.1).

"CJL" wrote in message
This should be simple but I am coming up blank. I am working on a report
and
would like the Figure Captions to change with the Chapter. So you could
have
Figure 1-1 in Section 1.1; Figure 1.2.1-1 in Section 1.2.1 etc...

I understand how to tie the Caption to a Style but if you switch the
style,
it switches the numbering in the entire document. So when I try to tie
the
Style to Heading 3 for Figure 1.2.1-1, it changes the the Figures in
Section
1.1 also.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Cathie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJL CJL is offline

Suzanne, Thanks for your reply. It's not really up to me - it is an
"industry standard". There are many things that I'd do differently if it was
left up to me. Is there a way to do it? In the past I've always done it
manually.

Thanks...

Cathie