Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Hancock Steve Hancock is offline

Default How do i set up a buton to open a certain doc? Word in Off2007

I use a certain document over and over - I edit it and save it using it like
a template but it's not a template by definition.

I would love to have a button on the ribbon I just click rather than
navigating to the file and opeing it taht way through File Open.

I tried recording a macro doing the File Open routine and navigating to the
location where the file is and opening it that way but the macro fails. I
think it's because of the path. Tried correcting but no nothing about VB.

The macro though - attached to a button - and added to the quick launch
toolbar would be ideal.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Steve Hancock wrote:
I use a certain document over and over - I edit it and save it using
it like a template but it's not a template by definition.

I would love to have a button on the ribbon I just click rather than
navigating to the file and opeing it taht way through File Open.

I tried recording a macro doing the File Open routine and navigating
to the location where the file is and opening it that way but the
macro fails. I think it's because of the path. Tried correcting but
no nothing about VB.

The macro though - attached to a button - and added to the quick
launch toolbar would be ideal.

The easiest solution is to make a desktop shortcut to the document -- in
Windows Explorer / My Computer, right-click the document and choose Send To
Desktop (create shortcut). Whenever you double-click the shortcut, the

document will open in Word.

It would be a better idea to use Office button Save As to save it as a
real template (.dotx file). You can still make a desktop shortcut to the
template, and double-clicking it will open Word with a document based on the
template.

If you really, really want a macro and a Quick Access Toolbar button, post
the code of the one you recorded and I'll try to tell you how to fix it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman