Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
23hitman 23hitman is offline

Default ~ ~ Relative Links

I would like to accomplish this same task as posted 11 months ago (end files
on a CD and links to each file) . (Using Word & Excel 2007)

I know the answer is to create "relative" file paths
however..............HOW do I create relative path names? When they are on
the CD in a folder the main sheet needs to link to each file.

Word or Excel to accomplish this?

Thank you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

David Biddulph" wrote:

Is your hyperlink to a relative address, or an absolute address? If it is
a relative address, then you should be OK if all your files are being copied
onto the same CD with the same relative folder structure as you've got where
you're creating them.
--
David Biddulph

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Excel maintain its links paths in relative form, so there's no need to do anything on that front.

To see how to implement relative paths in Word, check out the solution I've posted at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=670027

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
23hitman 23hitman is offline

Thanks for the reply.

I want to create a Table of Contents, using Word or Excel.
The final product will be burned to a cd just like the example David
Biddulph gave.
Reading your example it sounds like linking relative files in Word is not
that easy, if it can be done with linking files (not pictures).

1. Can I use Excel to create the relative file paths?

I want to create the TOC in Word or Excel, and SaveAs in a PDF.

Thank you.

"Jattas" wrote in message
I have to archive media clippings for my company. I have a list with
hyperlinks to the source files (JPG's, PDF's, ZIP's etc.)

I have different folders for all the source files (according to date) and
want the end-user to have access to those files with a simple click in
Excel.

The end-product will be on a CD. As I don't know what their CD drive
letter
will be, how can I be certain that the link will guide them to the
corresponding file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I have no idea what 'the example David Biddulph gave' was.

The approach you take will have to be determined by what file you're trying to link from. If from a PDF, then the relative link
techniques I've described for Word & Excel are irrelevant - you'll need to check out how your PDF-creation software handles
hyperlinks in the source files, then work within those limitations.

--
Cheers
macropod