Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erselking erselking is offline

Default Diacritical Mark

I'm using Word 2004 for Mac. I have some of the diacritical marks learned,
but I don't have the keyboard shortcut for the little circle over a letter
that is required in some European names. For instance, the composer Martinu
has the little circle over the "u". One puts the circle over an "a" by
holding down option/alt while typing "a". But this doesn't work for the "u".
Can someone help? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the character is in your current font then type 016F then ALT+X - or
assign a more memorable keyboard shortcut.

erselking wrote:
I'm using Word 2004 for Mac. I have some of the diacritical marks
learned, but I don't have the keyboard shortcut for the little circle
over a letter that is required in some European names. For instance,
the composer Martinu has the little circle over the "u". One puts
the circle over an "a" by holding down option/alt while typing "a".
But this doesn't work for the "u". Can someone help? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If the character is in your current font then type 016F then ALT+X - or
assign a more memorable keyboard shortcut.

I tried this but got two short wavy lines, one above the other.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you type the code 018F on the regular numbers, not the numeric
keypad? (You use the keypad for the _other_ way to enter the basic
ASCII characters, holding Alt at the same time -- but the two sets of
code numbers are different.)

If the character (in this case Czech long-u) doesn't happen to exist
in the font you're using, then Word substitutes something with a
similar code number. (But the Unicode for "approximately equal" is
2248, which doesn't seem too similar.) If you select that incorrect
character and open Insert Symbol, it should be set to that character,
and then you can see what its code is and maybe why it chose it.

The letter you want appears to be in all the regular fonts that come
with Vista or Office2007; are you using a less common font that
doesn't include the Latin Extended-A range, which basically covers the
roman-alphabet languages of Eastern Europe?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

* I tried this but got two short wavy lines, one above the other.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the insert symbol command to ensure that the character is in the current
font.

erselking wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If the character is in your current font then type 016F then ALT+X -
or assign a more memorable keyboard shortcut.

I tried this but got two short wavy lines, one above the other.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote:
If the character is in your current font then type 016F then ALT+X - or
assign a more memorable keyboard shortcut.

I tried this but got two short wavy lines, one above the other.

I'm using the Times New Roman font on a Mac running Word for Mac 2004 with
OSX 10.4 Tiger. The first thing I did was to look in the Insert Symbol
tables but did not find this character. Latin Extended-A is not on the drop
down list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it is not in the font then try a workaround by combining two characters
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Banner_Text.htm

erselking wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

If the character is in your current font then type 016F then ALT+X
- or assign a more memorable keyboard shortcut.

I tried this but got two short wavy lines, one above the other.

The first thing I did was to look in the Insert Symbol tables but
did not find this character.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the Mac font has Combining Diacritics, the ring-over is at Unicode
030A.

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org