Diane R.

Default How do you force a Save As in a Word based form?

I got a chance to try the suggestion. I went to Tools, Options, Save but I
do not have the 'Read Only' box; I have the following:

Always create backup copy Prompt for document properties
Allow Fast saves Prompt to save Normal template
Allow background saves Save date only for forms
Embed True Type fonts Embed linguistic data
[two items grayed out]
Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives
Save AutoRecover info every: 10 minutes
Embed Smart tags
Save smart tags as XML properties in Web pages

Default Format:
Save Word files as: Word Document (*.doc)
Disable features introduced after: [grayed out]

What do I do now?

Thank you.

Diane R.

"Ms_PC" wrote:

First create your form then protect it by applying the 'read only' option.
You will find this under Tools, Options and Save Tab then check the 'Read
Only' box. When users open the file a pop up messge will ask them if they
want to open the file as 'ready only' which allows them to open and use the
form, but when they click save instead of writing over the original the
'save-as' box appears. Hope this helps.

"Diane R." wrote:

I would like to force users of my Word document form to do a "File/Save As"
so they will not leave the boxes filled in when they exit. Can this be done
of do I have to make it a template? If I do how do I make it easy enough for
them to access the form?

Charles Kenyon

Your form should be a template, not a document. It should be stored in one
of the regular templates folders. The way to use it is to create a new
document (File New) based on the template. Then when it is saved, it will
be saved as a document and a new name can be assigned.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

You may also want to look into what Word calls an "online form." Check this
in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Diane R." wrote:

I would like to force users of my Word document form to do a "File/Save
As"
so they will not leave the boxes filled in when they exit. Can this be
done
of do I have to make it a template? If I do how do I make it easy
enough for
them to access the form?

word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
WP Delay Code - Word Equiv Mike G - Milw, WI Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 05:12 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
How do I convert a cd in word perfect to microsoft word greylady Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:03 PM