Darrell

Default Stopping cross references from taking source text formatting?

I have bookmarked text on page 1 and many cross references to it throughout a
document. When I update the cross reference fields, the text formatting for
the source text (on page 1) comes with it.

Is there a way to allow the xref's to retain there own formatting
characteristics and not grab them from the source text?

Thanks in advance.
Stefan Blom

Add the \* MERGEFORMAT switch to the code of each REF field. This
allows you to format each cross-reference differently from its source.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Darrell" wrote in message
I have bookmarked text on page 1 and many cross references to it

throughout a
document. When I update the cross reference fields, the text

formatting for
the source text (on page 1) comes with it.

Is there a way to allow the xref's to retain there own formatting
characteristics and not grab them from the source text?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Darrell,
Here is my experience w/Word 2003 on Win.XP. For the MERGEFORMAT to work,
you must first apply the formatting that you want to the cross ref's - for
example, a "Link" character style that you have created. (If you want the
cross ref's to be just plain text, click Clear Formatting in the Styles &
Formatting pane.)

If you apply the character style from the Formatting toolbar or the Styles &
Formatting pane, then MERGEFORMAT should be added to the field
'automagically' to the field. (To check, view field codes -- press Alt+F9 --
the MERGEFORMAT should "pop in" to the code as soon as you apply the char.
formatting, then click in the doc.) Note that if you use a keyboard shortcut
to apply the character style, MERGEFORMAT is not added automatically to the
field. :-(

It also cannot be applied to the field on a search/replace of the REF field
definition. You can s/r the field definition to include the MERGEFORMAT code
after your REF details, but a replacement char. style will not be applied in
the actual reference. Weird. To s/r the REF contents, view them with Alt+F9,
copy what's there. For example, { REF mybookmark \h }. Replace this with:
REF mybookmark \h \* MERGEFORMAT
Include 2 spaces after the last switch/before the \* and include a space at
the end.

In the future, instead of inserting cross ref's to a bookmark, you can
insert a REF field and include the options you want, e.g. hyperlink to para.
-- and also check "Preserve formatting during updates." That = MERGEFORMAT.
You'll still need to apply the char. formatting that you want.

Hope this isn't too long & convoluted.
--
GMc
Phoenix

"Darrell" wrote:
I have bookmarked text on page 1 and many cross references to it throughout a
document. When I update the cross reference fields, the text formatting for
the source text (on page 1) comes with it.

Is there a way to allow the xref's to retain there own formatting
characteristics and not grab them from the source text?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GMc GMc is offline

Oops - helps to notice the year... :-} Well, hope the prev. info helps
someone.
--
GMc
Phoenix