Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
geo0071 geo0071 is offline

Default Need to Update Documents Others have open

Hi, I have multiple users accessing various MS Word 2003 documents over a
document server. The users only have read access on the documents. One
person has the ability to update the documents.

How can the document be updated if other people have it open? The admin
tries to save the document but is unable to because it is open. This even
occurs when the documents are set to read only when opened by the users.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
geo0071 geo0071 is offline

Hi, thanks for the information. Is it possible to do something so that some
users open it in "Read Only" ... non-edit version. I have them opening it as
read-only now, but the documents are still locked when the administrator
tries to replace them. Is there anyway around this? I want people to open
the documents as "Read-Only" and I want the person with admin rights in the
folder to be able to replace the documents or overwrite them whenever
necessary. Currently, they admin keeps on running into sharing violations.

Thanks in advance.

- George

"geo0071" wrote in message
Hi, I have multiple users accessing various MS Word 2003 documents over a
document server. The users only have read access on the documents. One
person has the ability to update the documents.

How can the document be updated if other people have it open? The admin
tries to save the document but is unable to because it is open. This even
occurs when the documents are set to read only when opened by the users.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If all users open the docs read-only, then the admin should be able to open
them for editing, but that requires user education. You can check the box
for "Read-only recommended" on the Security tab of Tools | Options, but this
is only a "recommendation" and will not force users to open this way.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible in Word. Only one user at a time can have a

document
open for editing.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.