Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mairtin Mairtin is offline

Default list not available in Data source

I am using mail merge to merge a word letter with a table in Access. I
select the data source and want to filter some records. When I select the
dropdown list the option all. blanks etc are there. Sometimes I get a listing
of teh individual data that is in the record and sometimes not. for example
one colume has post code and I have only 3 different codes repeated many
times. They dont appear for some reason. I have checked to make sure teh
reckords are not filtered in Access and checked teh data types etc. Just
cant explain why it works in some data sources and not in others. Any ideas
folks???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mairtin Mairtin is offline

Perhaps I can explain that a little clearer

I have an access database as a data source, when I try to filter the data by
using the dropdown list on the header row of the data source it sometimes
gives me the data that is in the fileld. ie I have one column of data for
post code. There are four possible codes and I can select any one and it
filters the records according to the selected code. However I dont always
get this listing!!! I can go into advanced and filter it in there but why do
I get thelisting for some fields and not for others????

"Mairtin" wrote:

I am using mail merge to merge a word letter with a table in Access. I
select the data source and want to filter some records. When I select the
dropdown list the option all. blanks etc are there. Sometimes I get a listing
of teh individual data that is in the record and sometimes not. for example
one colume has post code and I have only 3 different codes repeated many
times. They dont appear for some reason. I have checked to make sure teh
reckords are not filtered in Access and checked teh data types etc. Just
cant explain why it works in some data sources and not in others. Any ideas
folks???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would always use the database application to manipulate data; not a word
processor.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mairtin" wrote:

I am using mail merge to merge a word letter with a table in Access. I
select the data source and want to filter some records. When I select
the
dropdown list the option all. blanks etc are there. Sometimes I get a
listing
of teh individual data that is in the record and sometimes not. for
example
one colume has post code and I have only 3 different codes repeated many
times. They dont appear for some reason. I have checked to make sure teh
reckords are not filtered in Access and checked teh data types etc. Just
cant explain why it works in some data sources and not in others. Any
ideas
folks???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mairtin Mairtin is offline

thanks Doug I would agree only that i am an It trainer and have to explain
this to students. My colleagues are also puzzled and they are all MOS
Masters!!! I would use the advanced filtering options but it just puzzles
me!!! Any ideas???

"Mairtin" wrote:

I am using mail merge to merge a word letter with a table in Access. I
select the data source and want to filter some records. When I select
the
dropdown list the option all. blanks etc are there. Sometimes I get a
listing
of teh individual data that is in the record and sometimes not. for
example
one colume has post code and I have only 3 different codes repeated many
times. They dont appear for some reason. I have checked to make sure teh
reckords are not filtered in Access and checked teh data types etc. Just
cant explain why it works in some data sources and not in others. Any
ideas
folks???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I /think/ the essence of it is that if there are 1 to 10 different values in
the list, Word will display the values in the drop-down and let the user
select one of them. If there are 11 or more values, Word doesn't display any
of them. It doesn't display the 10 most frequent ones; it just doesn't
display any of them. It could well be more complicated than that, but that's
what a quick look suggests.

MOS Masters?

Peter Jamieson

"Mairtin" wrote:

I am using mail merge to merge a word letter with a table in Access.
select the data source and want to filter some records. When I select
the
dropdown list the option all. blanks etc are there. Sometimes I get a
listing
of teh individual data that is in the record and sometimes not. for
example
one colume has post code and I have only 3 different codes repeated
many
times. They dont appear for some reason. I have checked to make sure
teh
reckords are not filtered in Access and checked teh data types etc.
Just
cant explain why it works in some data sources and not in others. Any
ideas
folks???

Detach or change SQL data source for Word template, and other Qs SJMac Mailmerge 6 July 27th 06 10:12 AM
Editing Data source Greg Mailmerge 1 July 26th 06 12:00 AM
Print Mail Merge Data source list [email protected] New Users 7 May 4th 06 02:46 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM