Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe M. Joe M. is offline

Default Captions and Cross References not updated

When I add new Captions (for figures) and the associated Cross references the
reference & caption numbers are not updated. If I add a new Caption or delete
one, when I select all and F9, the caption #'s remain the same. What am I
missing here?
Thanks,
Joe M.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Which version of Word? 2007, 2003, 2000, prior?

Are you working in Normal View with Background Repagination turned Off?

When you press F9 do you get an Update... dialog with option to update Page
Numbers or Entire Table? Updating page #s *only* is the default, select the
second option.

Possible you have unlinked the fields (accidental Shift+Control+F9, for
example)?

Are you doing the insertions through the insert Menu or manually?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Joe M." wrote in message
When I add new Captions (for figures) and the associated Cross references
the
reference & caption numbers are not updated. If I add a new Caption or
delete
one, when I select all and F9, the caption #'s remain the same. What am I
missing here?
Thanks,
Joe M.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe M. Joe M. is offline

Version is 2003. I am working in Print Layout. Not sure how to check
Background Repagination. There is no dialogue after pressing F9. I am
inserting using the Insert Menu.

"Joe M." wrote in message
When I add new Captions (for figures) and the associated Cross references
the
reference & caption numbers are not updated. If I add a new Caption or
delete
one, when I select all and F9, the caption #'s remain the same. What am I
missing here?
Thanks,
Joe M.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Do you happen to have Track Changes turned on in the doc?

Also, go to ToolsOptionsView & from the Field Shading: list select Always.
When you OK out do you see the caption numbers & cross-references shaded in
gray?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

news

"Joe M." wrote in message
When I add new Captions (for figures) and the associated Cross
references
the
reference & caption numbers are not updated. If I add a new Caption or
delete
one, when I select all and F9, the caption #'s remain the same. What am
missing here?
Thanks,
Joe M.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe M. Joe M. is offline

Track changes is not on. With field shading set to always the caption numbers
& cross-references are shaded. previously it was set to 'when selected'.
Thanks,
Joe M.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Do you happen to have Track Changes turned on in the doc?

Also, go to ToolsOptionsView & from the Field Shading: list select Always.
When you OK out do you see the caption numbers & cross-references shaded in
gray?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones