Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nigel Sheridan-Smith Nigel Sheridan-Smith is offline

Default Table Styles not saving

Hi there everyone,

Frantically trying to finish a PhD doc in my last week before returning to
work, but table styles refuse to "save" into a .doc file (both Word 2003 and
Word 2007 compatibility mode).

I can apply table styles, but when I close the doc and reopen, the changes
disappear! The style definition is saved, but the style is not associated
with the tables after reopening. "Reveal formatting" (with "show source" in
Word 2007) shows that the table style is blanked out. I have noticed this
behaviour for the last few years (when I was using word 2003 predominantly).

I have been using a template with the style copied into it, but even
creating a table with the style in the template itself has the same behaviour.

Any ideas? I would really like to get this sorted out.

The general advice around is "don't use table styles", so my backup plan is
to try other formatting tricks. However, the key issues are the header row
(bold, cell colour) and row behaviour (repeat header, no break over pages).
Fixing these across heaps of tables will be time consuming.

I might also try the new OOXML formats... but then my O2K3 install will
require compatibility kit

Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Nigel Sheridan-Smith" wrote:

I might also try the new OOXML formats... but then my O2K3 install will
require compatibility kit

I just discovered that OOXML saves table styles associated with the tables
correctly in OOXML / Word 2007. So maybe the final version of my doc will
have to be OOXML? Its probably a limitation of the Word 97-2003 format (since
table styles were only introduced in Word XP.

Cheers,

Nigel