janlabe

Default Heading Level 1 Format

Is there a way to make a level 1 heading for a chapter format with the
chapter number (e.g. Chapter 3) on one line and the chapter title (e.g.
History) on a different line? I want both the chapter number and name in the
level 1 field so it will be in the correct place in the ToC, but I would
prefer the mulitple line chapter heading in the text.

There are a couple of ways to approach this:

1. Format the numbering of Heading 1 to be followed by "(nothing)" (that is,
not a space or a tab), then insert a line break immediately following
"Chapter 3" and type your title on the next line. (The line break will be
interpreted as a space in the TOC.) If you want some space between the
chapter number and title, and none of the titles exceeds one line, you can
increase the line spacing of the Heading 1 style.

2. Use two separate styles, a numbered one for the chapter number (following
by "(nothing)" and containing no further text) and a different one for the
chapter title. You may want to use Heading 1 for the latter (rather than for
the chapter number) unless you're picking up the chapter number in
lower-level subheads, the page number, etc. Include the chapter title style
in the TOC and add the same type of numbering to the TOC 1 style. This will
have the advantages that the numbering in the TOC can be followed by a tab
and that you can manage space between the chapter number and title and space
within the title (if it runs to more than one line) independently.