Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
joe schmo joe schmo is offline

Default 1st row of data does not become field names

when I choose an xlsm file to be a data source, i pick an excel sheet. But
when it merges. the field names are the first row of data as opposed to
Name, etc. How can this be solved?
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A simple example seems to work OK here. You defintely /have/ field names in
the first row?

When you try to conect to the workbook, do you see a dialog box with the
names of each sheet and a check box about the first row of data containing
headers? If so, are you definitely picking the correct sheet name (and not
perhaps a named range? I don't think checking/unchecking the box actually
makes any difference but it's probably best left checked.

That's all pretty standard stuff so I doubt if you are actually doing any of
it wrong. Other than that, if you create a really simple new workbook from
scratch (say, 2 columns, 1 row of column headings, one data row) and save it
as a .xlsx and a .xlsm, can you connect to either of those OK? Or does the
..xslx work but not the .xlsm?

Peter Jamieson