Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cborg cborg is offline

Default Multiple worksheets in Excel

I am trying to merge one specific worksheet in a workbook from Excel to a
letter in Word 2003. When I browse the data sources and choose that workbook
name, I then get a list of all of the worksheets in that workbook. I chose
the particular worksheet I want to merge into Word but there is no data to
merge, even though I have hilighted the print area and have column headings
at the top. If I choose copy that worksheet to it's own workbook and save
it, then Word allows me to merge it. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word uses all the rows in the worksheet starting with the top row (which
should contain the column names) until it finds a blank row. It doesn't take
any notice of "the print area".

So if for example you have a blank row immediately below your column
headings, Word will think the data source has no records.

Could that be the case here? (If you have hidden any rows, they may also be
blank)

Peter Jamieson

"cborg" wrote in message
I am trying to merge one specific worksheet in a workbook from Excel to a
letter in Word 2003. When I browse the data sources and choose that
workbook
name, I then get a list of all of the worksheets in that workbook. I
chose
the particular worksheet I want to merge into Word but there is no data to
merge, even though I have hilighted the print area and have column
headings
at the top. If I choose copy that worksheet to it's own workbook and save
it, then Word allows me to merge it. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cborg cborg is offline

Peter: There are not blank rows but there are a couple of rows that have the
beginning cell empty. This is the first time this has happened. We've done
this kind of merge before where we've chosen 1 worksheet with a workbook to
use in the merge and never had this happen before. I'll try to describe
what's happening better. When we are in Word and get to the part where we
browse for the Excel file to use, we get the box that says "Select Table",
there are multiple names listed for all of the worksheets available in that
Excel file. When we select the one we want, under Mail Merge recepients,
it's blank. There is no data at all, yet when we select a different
worksheet in that same workbook, it works just fine.

"cborg" wrote in message
I am trying to merge one specific worksheet in a workbook from Excel to a
letter in Word 2003. When I browse the data sources and choose that
workbook
name, I then get a list of all of the worksheets in that workbook. I
chose
the particular worksheet I want to merge into Word but there is no data to
merge, even though I have hilighted the print area and have column
headings
at the top. If I choose copy that worksheet to it's own workbook and save
it, then Word allows me to merge it. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have come across other things that seem to prevent Word from seeing the
data properly - for example, if you select the data on a worksheet and use
Data|List|"Create List" to create a list, then try to connect to that,
if the workbook is closed, you will see (say) Sheet2$_ as well as Sheet2$
listed, but attempting to connect to Sheet2$_ fails altogether. if the
workbook is open you will see Sheet2$_FilterDatabase as well as Sheet2$, but
WOrd seems to work OK whichever you choose in that case. Further, in some
cases I've found that removing filters etc. does not always make things work
again.

Do you have anything unusual like that? I can't say I've explored this kind
of quirk in detail and tend to suggest to people that they try to rebuild
the specific workbook concerned, especially if it can be done by exporting
to .csv and importing into a brand new workbook.

Sorry, I don't have any more specific ideas on this one.

Peter Jamieson