TudorDoc TudorDoc is offline
Junior Member

Default How do I modify a button for a macro

Can anyone help?

When one puts a macro onto the toolbar in Word how do you get the short name xxxx and not the whole macro path ie Normal.NewMacros.xxx on the button?

If I have got a button with the long name how do I change it to a short name? Is it something to do with editing with Visual BAsic??? I have read that I should be able to go to tools/customise and then right click to change, but this does not seem to work.

Lastly, for the toolbar that has file/edit/view etc onto whcih I have added my button with the overly long macro name, can I reset the toolbar to start again?

Thanks

TudorDoc

Last edited by TudorDoc : June 7th 05 at 12:35 PM
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:23:39 +0100, TudorDoc
wrote:

Can anyone help?

When one puts a macro onto the toolbar in Word how do you get the short
name xxxx and not the whole macro path ie Normal.NewMacros.xxx on the
button?

If I have got a button with the long name how do I change it to a short
name? Is it something to do with editing with Visual BAsic??? I have
read that I should be able to go to tools/customise and then right
click to change, but this does not seem to work.

Lastly, for the toolbar that has file/edit/view etc onto whcih I have
added my button with the overly long macro name, can I reset the
toolbar to start again?

Thanks

TudorDoc

What you read about Tools Customize was correct, and it should work.
You don't need any Visual Basic.

Open the Tools Customize dialog. Now right-click the button with the
long name. You will get a long dropdown menu, which is illustrated by
Figure 3 at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm.
The Name field near the top of that menu contains the entire long name
of the button. Click in that field. (The field isn't wide enough to
show the whole name, but it scrolls as you use the left and right
arrow keys.) Edit it to say whatever you want the button to show.
When you're done, close the Customize dialog. When you exit from Word,
when it asks whether to save the template, say yes.

To reset the menu bar, open the Tools Customize dialog, click the
Toolbars tab, select the Menu Bar item, and click the Reset button.
(This is method 2 in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oreMenuCmd.htm.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Jay Freedman

TudorDoc wrote:
Thanks

What I did not appreciate is that all I need is to have the
tools/seetings dialogue open to be able then to right click on the
button. All is now clear.

Can you help with a second (related) question? With all my fiddling I
now seem to have lost the shortcut key for the "File" drop down. In
other words when I press alt-F I do not get the File menu dropping
down as I did

Thanks in anticipation

TudorDoc

Again open the Tools Customize dialog. Right-click the File menu item to
get the same kind of dropdown menu you had for your macro item. Look at the
entry in the Name box. It should have an ampersand before the F, as in

&File

The ampersand tells Word that the following letter (F) is the accelerator
key, the one used with the Alt key. If the ampersand is missing, there isn't
any accelerator. In that case, put it in and close the Customize dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman