Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frankie Frankie is offline

Default word and Adobe Acrobat

I use word 2000 to write my catalog and then convert it to a PDF file using
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I have done this successfully for over 6 years, without ever having a
problem! All of sudden, word docs can not be converted. Adobe reports the
word doc is corrupt.

I sent the error report to Microsoft and they say office 2000 is causing the
problem and to correct it I should upgrade to office 2007 because it is
supported and office 2000 is not.

They do not say the problem will be eliminated if I upgrade to office 2007,
just that I will then be eligible for support with the problem. The program
was running fine with no problems. Somehow a Microsoft download caused this
problem.

I cant afford to buy office 2007 just to let Microsoft try to help correct
a problem they caused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie

--
I need all the help I can get, and truly do appreciate it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Word 2000 will not be patched. That's a done deal. Since it was released,
there has been Word 2002, 2003, and now 2007. Ditto for Acrobat. You're
several versions behind there too.

Have you sent this document to anyone else and asked them to see if they get
the same error?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is Adobe reporting that *all* Word documents are corrupted, or just this
one?

Any idea of which Microsoft download might have caused the problem?

If you're really at wit's end, you might download and install the free Open
Office, and see if you can use it to produce your catalog. (I certainly
can't blame you for not wanting to upgrade if what you have was working
fine, but suddenly "broke" without your having done something to break it.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you upgrade to Word 2007, Acrobat 5 will no longer work. You need Acrobat
8.1 for compatibility and that could prove expensive. If you have Windows XP
and System Restore running, you could restore to a time when you knew it was
working and be careful about what updates you add.
You could try downloading the free PrimoPDF and 'print' to that. If that
doesn't work, there is something wrong with your document - probably some
form of corruption.

Frankie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I use Acrobat Professional 7 with Word 2007, and it works fine for how I use
it. But, I've never used the Adobe toolbar in Word (just the printer
driver), so I'm probably easier to please than most. I'm not about to fork
out the $$$ for 8.1 unless I absolutely positively need it.

--

Frankie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frankie Frankie is offline

Thanks for this.

I know Word 2000 will not be patched. If I upgrade to 2007 my Adobe won't
work. But what if I just upgrade to 2003?

Have not yet sent the doc to anyone to see if they have the same problem
but have it on a floppy and will do so. But what if it works fine for them?

That would just mean they have not downloaded something that I did. If they
do have the same problem I guess it would mean the word doc somehow has been
corrupted. But how wouold I fix it?

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It's the ribbon entry that 8.1 provides for Office 2007 - and very neat it
is too - but if you don't need it ........
Back to the original question, Acrobat 5 *without the add-in* should work in
much the same way.

Frankie wrote:
I use word 2000 to write my catalog and then convert it to a PDF
file using Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I have done this successfully for over 6 years, without ever having
a problem! All of sudden, word docs can not be converted. Adobe
reports the word doc is corrupt.

I sent the error report to Microsoft and they say office 2000 is
causing the problem and to correct it I should upgrade to office
2007 because it is supported and office 2000 is not.

They do not say the problem will be eliminated if I upgrade to
office 2007, just that I will then be eligible for support with the
problem. The program was running fine with no problems. Somehow a
Microsoft download caused this problem.

I can't afford to buy office 2007 just to let Microsoft try to help
correct a problem they caused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frankie Frankie is offline

Thanks for your participation Herb:

It happens EVERY TIME to ALL word docs I try to convert to a Adobe PDF
file.

The message from Adobe is:

Acrobat could not open document because it is either not a supported file
or has been corrupted for example sent as an e-mail attachment and not
correctly decoded

My guess is the problem was caused by an office update o2ksr1a downloaded
some time ago. I did a search and cant find it to delete.

The free open office sounds great. How do I download and install it?

Frankie

--

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frankie Frankie is offline

Thanks Graham:

I tried to restore to an earlier date but apparently the problem occurred
earlier than my system restore will go back.

I was thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling both office 2000 and adobe
but am not sure that will work either.

How do I download the free PrimoPDF ??

Yes there now all my word docs are corrupted. I just cant figure out who
they got that way, or what I can do to correct it.

Thanks again

Frankie wrote:
I use word 2000 to write my catalog and then convert it to a PDF
file using Adobe Acrobat 5.0
I have done this successfully for over 6 years, without ever having
a problem! All of sudden, word docs can not be converted. Adobe
reports the word doc is corrupt.

I sent the error report to Microsoft and they say office 2000 is
causing the problem and to correct it I should upgrade to office
2007 because it is supported and office 2000 is not.

They do not say the problem will be eliminated if I upgrade to
office 2007, just that I will then be eligible for support with the
problem. The program was running fine with no problems. Somehow a
Microsoft download caused this problem.

I can't afford to buy office 2007 just to let Microsoft try to help
correct a problem they caused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frankie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OpenOffice is he http://www.openoffice.org/

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet... but what happens if you start
Word with the /a switch (winword.exe /a)? Does this let you produce the pdf
catalog correctly? The /a switch suppresses certain settings, and normal.dot
(not sure if this suppresses the Adobe Acrobat 5 add-in, too, in which case
this solution won't help much). If the Adobe toolbar isn't present, then try
File - Print - Adobe PDF Printer (not sure what version 5 was called),
instead.

--

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frankie Frankie is offline

I have a confession. I'm a computer idiot.

I don't even know how to start Word with the /a switch (winword.exe /a).

If you would tell me how to do it I would sure like to this.

Frankie

"Frankie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can download the free PrimoPDF from http://www.primopdf.com/
However if your documents are corrupt it will not help.
Are you sure they are corrupt? Have you saved them to floppy - that would
corrupt them?
Have you tried opening Word in its safe mode as already discussed?
See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm