Jackie

Default Reformatting documents

I've just joined a new legal firm who regularly have documents e-mail
to them from third parties which they have to reformat into our house
style. The previous trainer advised them to use the organiser, delete
the styles from the document and replace them with the styles in
normal.dot. (She failed to mention that they will still have to apply
paragraph styles to each of the paragarphs in most cases).

My way of doing this would be to copy and paste the document into a new
blank doc and then apply the paragraph styles where applicable as I
don't really like the idea of having users go into the organiser.
Does anyone have any thought on this?

Klaus Linke

"Jackie" wrote:
I've just joined a new legal firm who regularly have documents e-mail
to them from third parties which they have to reformat into our house
style. The previous trainer advised them to use the organiser, delete
the styles from the document and replace them with the styles in
normal.dot. (She failed to mention that they will still have to apply
paragraph styles to each of the paragarphs in most cases).

My way of doing this would be to copy and paste the document into a new
blank doc and then apply the paragraph styles where applicable as I
don't really like the idea of having users go into the organiser.
Does anyone have any thought on this?

Hi Jackie,

That should work just as good as the organizer. You'll likely still will
have to replace the original styles with your house styles.

If you have "Tools Options Edit Keep track of formatting" checked, you
can right-click on an old style in the styles and formatting task pane,
choose "Select all XX instances", and apply the proper house style.

That can be excruciatingly slow, though, if the documents are of any length.
Then, it might be quicker to use "Edit Replace" to replace the original
style with the house style (leaving "Fin what" and "Replace with" empty).

It can be simpler to detect the "wrong" styles if you have a naming scheme
for your house styles. OTOH, I think it's usually preferable to use and
customize the built-in styles as much as possible, since then you don't have
as many problems with different styles in different docs in the first place.

Regards,
Klaus