Sujesh

Default "Add to dictionary" disabled...

I am currently using Word 2003 on an XP. I recently custom installed it, not
installing Outlook 2003. Now, I find that in a word doc, incase I need to add
some new word to the dictionary, the "Add to Dictionary" appears disabled.
How do I enable it? Do I need to install OUtlook also?
--
Sujesh R. Nair
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3VqZXNo?=,

I am currently using Word 2003 on an XP. I recently custom installed it, not
installing Outlook 2003. Now, I find that in a word doc, incase I need to add
some new word to the dictionary, the "Add to Dictionary" appears disabled.
How do I enable it? Do I need to install OUtlook also?

Outlook shouldn't matter. Most often, this problem is due to a language
conflict. If you want to investigate how your installation is set up for
languages, there's an article in the Tips section of my website.

But the first thing to check for the custom dictionary is:
Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar/Custom Dictionaries.

1. How many dictionaries are listed?

2. Is there any under "all languages"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Sujesh

Hello Cindy,
Checked the custom dictionaries. I have got only one custom dictionary
"custom.dic" and that too is selected.

Not sure abt the "All languages" that you have mentioned. Pls elaborate on
the same.

Thx
--
Sujesh R. Nair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U3VqZXNo?=,

I am currently using Word 2003 on an XP. I recently custom installed it, not
installing Outlook 2003. Now, I find that in a word doc, incase I need to add
some new word to the dictionary, the "Add to Dictionary" appears disabled.
How do I enable it? Do I need to install OUtlook also?

Outlook shouldn't matter. Most often, this problem is due to a language
conflict. If you want to investigate how your installation is set up for
languages, there's an article in the Tips section of my website.

But the first thing to check for the custom dictionary is:
Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar/Custom Dictionaries.

1. How many dictionaries are listed?

2. Is there any under "all languages"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U3VqZXNo?=,

Checked the custom dictionaries. I have got only one custom dictionary
"custom.dic" and that too is selected.

Not sure abt the "All languages" that you have mentioned. Pls elaborate on
the same.

In Word 2003, if you view the list of custom dictionaries, they are usually
divided into languages. roughly, it looks like this

English (UK)
MyCustomUK.dic
English (US)
custom.dic
German (German)
customDE.dic
All Languages
custom.dic

But if you haven't defined dics for multiple languages then you won't see the
languages, just a list (as apparently is the case for you).

In this case, make sure your custom.dic is selected, then click "Modify" (or
whatever). At the bottom of the dialog box there's a drop-downlist. Is this
set to "All languages" or to a specific language?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayan jayan is offline

Thanks a lot.
I am now able to activate my "add to dictionary" option.

Hi ?B?U3VqZXNo?=,